Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

DIY 5 axis hot wire cutter (rotary)

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Ashley S, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Ashley S

Ashley S New
    Builder

So I am probably in over my head here, but I have 4 months to figure this out, so thought I would give it a shot. I volunteered to help make large candy props for our local community Nutcracker. I went down a rabbit hole of research which led me to foam props which then led me to 5 axis hot wire machines which then gave me sticker shock when I looked into buying one. That turned into researching DIY hot wire machines.... which I found a lot of plans for 4 axis but not 5. This is a problem as Im not an engineer, have never used CAD programs, etc. Im crafty (hence volunteering for set creation) but that is a very different skillset.

I found this machine that I want to replicate using a hobbild controller, devcad software and open build parts, but Im at a loss as to how to design it. I know I could probably get the controller cheaper and use open source software, but as this is something I have never done before, Im trying to make this as easiest as possible on myself. Im confident I can build the actual machine, but the design is what is giving me trouble. So do you know of anyone who does designs using open build parts that I could reach out to, or give me some pointers on how I could get started trying to design the actual machine?

I appreciate any response as I am very much out of my element.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can you give us an idea what you’re looking for in the way props? Basically, is it possible that this could be done three axis front and back or maybe with a rotary axis?

3. Ashley S

Ashley S New
    Builder

Hi, so maybe I am confused but I thought the 5th axis was the rotary? But for props, here is a couple of examples I am trying to do:

cupcake
    lollipop
    cupcake 2

I know I will more than likely have to do them in 2 pieces and then glue together/hard coat them as I dont think it will be possible to make a machine large enough to do it in one piece. Thats why I liked the example of the machine I found linked in my original post as it seems large enough to be able to do most things in 2 pieces.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Rotary is not specifically a 5th axis. It can also be the third in a 3 axis machine. And what you seek is possible with a modified OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine 1515 (60" x 60"). You’ll need to do the High-Z mod to it and may need an extra length Z-axis to get the reach you seek. You’ll also need to add a rotary axis to it and you’ll probably need a lot of help from the resident experts. Should bring @Giarc and @Alex Chambers into the conversation.

Overall though it does seem doable. You’re just going to have to put on your best learning cap as you’re going to be learning a whole lot really fast.

5. Ashley S

Ashley S New
    Builder

Thanks for your help. Ill look at the link you sent and research how to do the modifications to it.

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

This link will also be useful.

LEAD Lathe

Alex.

Rick 2.0 likes this.