Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC.JS & xPro V5 Tool Change Z Probe Macro

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Paul Mitchener, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Paul Mitchener

Builder

Hi Brains trust,

A bit of a Noob to CNC routers & GRBL controllers.

I have a Lead CNC build with an xPro V5 controller & CNC.js. I have an XYZ probe to connect to the probe input, but I also want to include a permanent Z probe for tool changes.

I'd like to connect the Z-Probe to one of the xPro v5 Macro inputs.

Is this going to be possible?

Can I please have some assistance and / or ideas in writing the tool change macro for CNC.js?

Thanks in advance

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Why use a macro input? You can wire the Z probe together with the xyz probe.

If you're going to use a switch for the Z probe, you can do something like this: Shapeoko Probe Holder and Bitsetter by wdoler You just need to make sure that you attach the clip/magnet when its being stored.

Or you can just mount your switch and run your wires back to the xpro.

If your Z probe requires that you connect a clip/magnet to the bit, then you dont even need a z probe. You can mill a pocket into your wasteboard where your xyz probe can live while not in use or 3d print a mount. Basically you just need a place to put it that will always have the same coordinates and your bit can reach it.

As for writing the macro, I dont use CNC.js, but I just happened to be looking at their toolchange macro yesterday. Here's the doc: Tool Change · cncjs/cncjs Wiki