Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cheap 5x10 machine build for cutting foam

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by mtgawesome, Jun 8, 2018.

1. mtgawesome

Builder

2. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

Only 2" cutting depth?

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Are you just cutting them or are you needing to shape them too?

4. Taff124

Taff124 New
    Builder

Hi there
    I instantly tuned in to this conversation as I too am looking to build a LARGE foam cutting 3 axis...I am making a foam model to use as a plug for a resin infused mold ....so it will end up doing a lot sanding and finishing anyway so surface smoothness and ultimate accuracy is a not a killer for my use....all I need is to get me within a MM or 2 from a CAD file

How you are planning on achieving the data for your end product....are you designing your car panels on solidworks or similar or are you having a real panel measured and then importing those data points for you to recreate on your CNC

for my purpose (large scale model making....think 6' x 3' RC models with a 200cc engine with full FPV racing) I will 3D scan quality die cast small models and then upscale them to my use ....it takes the hours of CAD work out of that side of things eh

I look forward to hearing the voices of experience as those who know more can chime in to help you (us)

all the best

Taff

5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi MTGAwesome!
    There is another thread with a 1500x3000 ox going on right now, that would be like what you are wanting to do.
    If it was me I would go with Chrisclub OX HD plates for the 4080 X gantry (much stiffer than 40x60), the C-Beam Z setup, and the ability to dual-belt the X and Y because belts that long will stretch and dual belting eliminates that.
    Chrisclub on ebay you can contact him by email and get a better price or custom anything you need, he's great to work with.
    those plates are 1" taller than standard, but to get more Z you can raise your Y rails up off the table.
    You will need to support the Y rails with that long of a run and with the joint in the middle. A flat table is important. I could easily stretch my ox to do this with the same build style, you can see my build here.
    Cheers
    Gary