Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam XL Nema 23 Actuator

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Mark Carew published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

From build description: "Is available in multiple sizes and colors"

Colors? Is black C-beam becoming available in the US?

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Mark Carew

lol you caught us! :D Yes it is and it looks really nice. We are super excited to show you guys the new stuff coming out soon using the new black C-Beam!

4. JockeyStick

Builder

What is the weight of the 250mm bundle including the standard NEMA 23?

5. Mark Carew

6. Isabel Nelson

Builder

I was wondering what the rated torque for this linear actuator is? I'm hoping to move something around 2 lbs at a speed of 25 ft/min, and I'm wondering what type of stepper motor to use. Would the Nema 17 work, or would the Nema 23 be better?

Thanks

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Thats 7620mm/min?
    - Thats quite a high speed, for a leadscrew driven actuator. You'll need a NEMA23, DQ542MA and probably a 36v or 48v PSU (24v may not accelerate it quick enough)
    - Consider NEMA 23 Belt & Pinion Actuator Bundle as an alternative, Belt drive will get you up to that speed easier
    2lbs is not a particularly heavy weight, the issue is rather top speed: Belts are a lot faster than leadscrews (with slightly lower precision, and less torque)

8. Isabel Nelson

Builder

What if instead the speed was 1524 mm/min? Would the torque for the Nima 17 be ok with the 2lbs, or would you still suggest the Nema 23?

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Depends on how fast you want to get to that speed, I'd still recommend the NEMA23: better to have reserve power and not need it, than be underpowered

10. GoFastDontFall

Builder

Hello, New to this forum and excited I found it!
    Will this actuator work for a Z axis on a plasma machine. I have an older Torchmate that I am upgrading with a THC. If all goes well I will be diving into a nice Router build.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

It will work great yes!

12. Ivan Burvenich

Builder

Hi!
    I'm completely new to this stuff and I'm very excited to see that building a linear actuator (C-Beam) is that easy.
    I want to use multiple C-Beams for moving a 'model train lift case' up and down to track level with high accuracy (vertical movement). I already designed this 'lift case' using plywood and the weight should be around 120kg (240 pounds) but I have to verify if it is possible to reduce that weight by using slimmer profiles (I used 18mm). Size: 3200mm by 955mm by 328mm (wooden version), the maximum moving distance is 837mm. I also designed an aluminium version (pdf attached) with almost the same dimensions (but it is very expensive and heavy - 183kg (366 pounds)). When this train case is 100% filled with model trains the weight will be maximum 250kg (500 pounds). I will use a counterweight of 185kg (370 pounds). This means that the actuators must be able to handle + of - 65kg of weight.
    I'm wondering how these motors handle the remaining balanced weight?
    How will it cope with the overhanging weight?
    How many C-Beams would I need? And what motor type should I use? High tork?
    Since the lift case is 950mm tall, I'm wondering if it is wise to mount half of the actuator on top and the other half on the bottom of the lift case? (to make it stable) Or do I use passive gliders on top (or bottom) and the C-Beams on the bottom (or top)?
    How do I fix the actuator to the lift case?
    I read that the controllers of the stepper motors can be daisy chained. How many motor can be daisy chained?
    The added pdf-file gives you an idea what this lift case looks like (Maytec profiles). The design can easily adapted to C-Beam application requirements or recommendations.

… OR … do I need bigger actuators?

Attached Files:

13. joelsteraz

Builder

Looking into stacking 2 1000mm of these to make an XY stage. Any ideas on good ways to easily calibrate/Home the system? I need to be able to know accurate stage positionings at different points in time. I was thinking about just putting in a couple of bumpers, but maybe open builds sells something better?