Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Machine XLarge

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Moag, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Moag

Moag Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

marlin adams, Aeneas, Morb and 8 others like this.
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hey guys,
    A New Bigger and Badder C-Beam™ Machine is here. The C-Beam Machine XLarge! Let the fun begin...
    Bring on your larger plate and carving projects with this super strong awesome design.
    Many thanks go out to OpenBuilds Resident Builder @Moag ! for working hard to help bring the C-Beam XL Machine to reality.
    C-Beam Machine XLarge Bundled mechanical parts list coming very soon. :thumbsup:
    We know you will love this machine and can't wait to see all the cool projects you make with it.
    Thank you

Edit - These are the settings I use on my XL machine so I thought it may be good to share them here for everyone to use as an example setup.
    C-Beam Machine XL GRBL Settings - This information can also be used to set up other firmware as well

$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
    $1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
    $2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
    $3=0 (dir port invert mask:00000000)
    $4=1 (step enable invert, bool)(Board V1, V2, V3 Matte = $4=0 - Glossy board V3 = $4=1)
    $5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
    $6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
    $10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
    $11=0.010 (junction deviation, mm)
    $12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
    $13=0 (report inches, bool)
    $20=0 (soft limits, bool)
    $21=0 (hard limits, bool)
    $22=0 (homing cycle, bool)
    $23=0 (homing dir invert mask:00000000)
    $24=2000.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
    $25=1000.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
    $26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
    $27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
    $100=199.098 (x, step/mm)
    $101=199.100 (y, step/mm)
    $102=199.100 (z, step/mm)
    $110=1000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
    $111=1000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
    $112=1000.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
    $120=100.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
    $121=100.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
    $122=100.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
    $130=750.000 (x max travel, mm)
    $131=320.000 (y max travel, mm)
    $132=60.000 (z max travel, mm)

#2 Mark Carew, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Makerparts, Charlie B, GrayUK and 4 others like this.
  3. lorenzajames246

Builder

Looking forward for the parts list

TerryOx and Moag like this.
  4. TerryOx

TerryOx Well-Known
    Builder

C-Beam Machine XLarge looks like a winner.

#4 TerryOx, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Greg R likes this.
  5. Glenn Weston

Glenn Weston Journeyman
    Builder

Well this is my first post here, I am from Sydney Australia Craig, so another fellow Aussie here with you.

Have been watching the discussions on the C-Beam thread from the outside for a while now and have been waiting patiently for the XL version to turn up since it was first discussed, when I saw this new post I just had to sign up.
    I am ready to purchase as soon as the mechanical bundle kit is ready and listed in the store.

Thankyou to yourself and Mark for putting this all together, just reading through the Build instructions/tips there I can see how much work you guys have put into this, some fantastic tips that as a first time builder I probably would not have even thought of, thankyou for all the hard work and efforts.

Looking forward to ordering and building this, it should be exciting !!

Cheers Glenn.

gwandad, Aussie58, Charlie B and 3 others like this.
  6. Moag

Moag Veteran

Woo Hoo another fellow Aussie, welcome and thank you for the kind words @Glen Weston:thumbsup:

Cheers Mate.

7. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

That's one awesome plate maker. I can't imagine the days it must have taken to produce all the 3d drawings!! Very well done!

Charlie B, Paul Stoller and Moag like this.
  8. dean knipping

Builder

very very nice. I think I am going to see about swapping around my Z axis so it faces away from the router on my C-Beam.

I am curious why you only went with 20x40 to fill and stiffen up the gantry. why not use 40x40 and possibly solid plates across the ends to tie the front of the gantry, sides and filler piece? I figure that would help with alignment (assuming all the uprights are the same length) and make things a lot more rigid

9. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

You've done a great job there Moag! :thumbsup: It seems I shall shortly have my new machine to build. It looks like it has been worth the wait, that's for sure. :D
    However....... Any idea how the instructions would print out if needed? With what you have done so far, it would make it almost unnecessary to have instructions with the kit. I might try copying them into a PDF file and then paginate it.
    What do you think?
    Great Job! Well Done!
    Gray

10. Mark Carew

This started out as a 40x40 on the initial test Build that Moag did, but it was hard to reach in to tighten the adjustments X Nut Blocks on the back so we went with the 20x40 to keep the sniffer there but really its purpose is to carry the cable chain so its nice that it can do both :)
    untitled.216.jpg

@GrayUK Moag has the PDF ready, we just want to be sure that we finish up today's clean Build so that we can make any necessary corrections to both the Build page as well as the PDF and parts list.
    Its going really good (we have some sneak peek SPY cam pics of the Build in progress we will post shortly ;) )

Charlie B likes this.
  11. GrayUK

Good'o. :D
    Just a thought. Will you guys be working out the position of the moving bed, so as to give the maximum usage of it, in the Y axis.
    I realise, it does depend to a degree, on which spindle/router a person uses, as to how far it protrudes over the back edge of the table, and this will dictate where the table should start and finish its movement. :rolleyes: Perhaps I'm asking, will there be leeway for this variation?
    Gray

12. dean knipping

Builder

I was wondering if that were the case but didn't have a look at the back of the gantry. I R getting all sorts of ideas for my C-Beam now but they are going to have to be future plans because I have to get THIS one together, working and possibly paying itself off before the wife will let me spend more money on this project

Mark Carew likes this.
  13. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

BETA BUILD!! SNEAK PEAK!

Well underway. Still needs the MDF.

2. CBeam XL Camera- 4.jpg

This is a shot of OpenBuilds Team Member Keith working on what appears to possibly be the Z axis. That build manual looks amazing.

3. Camera- 3.jpg

snokid, silopolis, Charlie B and 2 others like this.
  14. Moag

Moag Veteran

Thanks @stargeezer and yes there's just a few 3d drawings ;)

Thanks @dean knipping , as Mark said the change from the 40x40 to the 20x40 was to gain easy on machine access to the two Acme Nut Blocks for adjustment and a place to lay a cable chain. The test machine is pretty rigid as is with "all Openbuilds parts" we will leave the custom mods for this design to the builders;), with the first and most obvious one in my eyes, is to replace the two top 90 Degree Joining Plates with a 120mm x 40mm x 1/4" to gain 40mm of travel on the X axis.

Thanks @GrayUK these machines are going to end up being scattered across the globe, keeping things in balance;) and yes a printable build pdf will be available, but a big thanks for offering Mate, hope you have fun with the build and sorry for the wait, there was a bit of work involved:thumbsup:

It is at the maximum movement possible for this design if I get you, travel being dependant on the length of the C-Beam minus the C-Beam Gantry Plate-XLarge minus the width of the front and back frame V-Slot. The Spindle/Router is centered in the design at mid travel so doesn't change how much it protrudes over the front and back, if that answers your question?

Ha, awesome... spy cam, totally cool:cool: Looking good Keith:thumbsup:

Mark Carew and Paul Stoller like this.
  15. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

This is looking great, and the rendered build guide is top notch :thumbsup: This is going to make a sweet bundle.

BadgerBond, Paul Stoller and Moag like this.
  16. Moag

Moag Veteran

Cheers @Kyo :thumbsup:, I know you know ;) there's quite a bit to get something like this together, you're been a real inspiration Mate:)

17. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

End of year money being spent today at work. I was hoping this kit would be available. Someone I work with was asking me to purchase a small CNC from another company for cutting plastic, wood, and some aluminum. I told them to wait for this one. After looking at it, they agreed. :)They were not in a hurry and will wait for the next budget cycle. They have a new 3D printer to play with while they wait.

MaryD likes this.
  18. Moag

Moag Veteran

I better stop chatting and get to it @Giarc , cheers Mate:thumbsup:

19. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

As far as I am concerned, you have until October 1st. However, there seem to be many others that may start beating down your door soon. ;)

MaryD and Moag like this.
  20. Mark Carew

Clean Bundle Build complete! (thank you Keith :thumbsup:)
    13 hours to complete and weighs in at 70lbs.
    Keith is a new Builder and he went right though this Build without a hitch. This is a true testament to the great job Moag has done on this Build manual. :thumbsup:
    Finalizing the details on the C-Beam Machine XLarge Mechanical Bundle now. Hope to release soon.
    C-Beam Machine XLarge.JPG

21. Andre Els

Andre Els New
    Builder

awesome ... looking forward to the release/part list !!

Moag likes this.
  22. Traxxtar

Traxxtar New
    Builder

Price for the kit bundle? Also, what's the physical footprint size? I'm right in the middle of building a new custom workbench and after seeing this, I'm hoping it will fit.

#22 Traxxtar, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Moag likes this.
  23. Moag

Moag Veteran

G'Day @Traxxtar , can't help you with the price of the bundle yet, though I'm sure Mark will let everyone know when that is sorted. The physical footprint is 1000mm x 500mm (with the moving Y table protruding about 170mm @ full travel, front and back) and the High Torque Stepper sticks out about 140mm from the frame at the back. Maximum Height ( Z-axis fully up) is about 630mm.

Hope that gives you a bit of an idea.;)

Charlie B, Mark Carew and GrayUK like this.
  24. Traxxtar

Traxxtar New
    Builder

It looks like the two bottom 'feet' or vertically mounted 20x80 bases could be rotated 90 degrees and used horizontally. If so, you would provide more surface area to mount the cbeams that move the table(y-axis?), as well as the side rails(x-axis?). Wouldn't this also make it a bit more rigid? It would also lower the overall height by about 60mm.

Is there a Sketchup model available so I could see if this is possible?

#24 Traxxtar, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Charlie B likes this.
  25. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Setting them flat will reduce the Y-axis travel distance.

26. GrayUK

Mark.
    When you get to the Final Kit for this, is there any chance you could do an alternative 1000 x 1000 Large C Beam machine. :)
    I reckon we are only looking at 2 x 1000 C Beams, for the Y axis, and 2 x 1000 Linear Actuators, for the bed, and maybe a few more brackets and cross beams. I might as well, go for it, if I'm going to build this machine. :thumbsup:
    The machine would be inherently strong, and I don't think we would be having to worry about creating weaknesses with that variation. :)
    Cheers
    Gray

Thanatos likes this.
  27. Traxxtar

Traxxtar New
    Builder

How so? The table sits on top of the cbeams, those would sit on top of the flat/horizontal 'feet'; it's all still off the ground, so to speak.

28. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

The C-Beams are flipped so that the lead screws are protected from debris. As a result, the carriage for the actuator will hit the cross beams before the end of the stroke. Make that beam thicker (by laying it flat instead of on it's end like it currently is), and the carriage hits the cross beam all the sooner. If you were to lay them beams flat, you would reduce the travel by 80mm.

Normal travel on a 500mm C-Beam is +/- 400mm (according to the product page). Let's just keep it at 400mm for sake of argument. If you have two 20mm wide profiles across the C-Beam at each end, inside the extrusion length (this is the critical part), that would reduce the travel to 360mm (400mm - 20mm - 20mm = 360mm, which is about what the y-axis travel is currently). Put two 60mm wide profiles across the C-Beam inside the extrusion length, then the travel is only 280mm (400mm - 60mm - 60mm = 280mm).

If the C-Beams were face up, then the cross beams would be under the C-Beam, and wouldn't affect the travel (with the carriage only on the top of the C-Beam).

29. dean knipping

Builder

if the C-Beam is sitting on top of the front and rear rails I don't see how that orientation is going to cause a clearance issue. I can see it being a little less rigid at the corners since you have the big plates there but I would think everything would clear.

30. Traxxtar

Traxxtar New
    Builder

Scroll up a few messages. There's a black/white photo showing the cbeams with the screws are UP, not down. Clearance should not be a problem.