Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-beam Machine - Modesty

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by linmag, Feb 2, 2018.

1. linmag

linmag Well-Known
    Builder

linmag published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. amm ann

amm ann New
    Builder

Keep me posted
    I'm also planning to build one same as yours
    thanks
    miney

3. linmag

linmag Well-Known
    Builder

Sure will, I will mainly be building this during wednesday evenings, so hopefully there will be a weekly update.

4. amm ann

amm ann New
    Builder

No problem Thanks

5. linmag

linmag Well-Known
    Builder

Yesterday I buildt the frame and parts of the X-axis to see how my modification of gantry uprights would work out.
    It was fun and fast to build everything, this kit is easy to put together. I think I've spent 3 hours in total so far and the mechanical part from the kit is almost completed. The fact that all my extrusions came in exact lengths helped to speed things up. Everything seems to be of really good quality, which makes me very happy (since I gambled a bit and bought a really cheap kit from China).
    I only needed to file down the "tabs" from the casted angles, otherwise it was like a Lego kit.

Attached Files:

6. linmag

linmag Well-Known
    Builder

My first idea was to have the XL gantry plates for X and Z axis, where the Z C-beam is flipped, but after building most of the machine I’m having second thougts. I want the X axis sitting as low as possibly for rigidity, and with the original setup the spindle and tool can be lifted above the bottom of the Z C-beam (compared with flipped Z C-beam, the tool will always protrude below the bottom of the Z C-beam, making me to need taller gantry for the same thickness of material to cut). Therefore the original setup seems better.

Have not decided yet, but leaning towards the original Z setup.

7. linmag

linmag Well-Known
    Builder

Yesterday I completed the original build, and tested the looks with 700 mm SBR16 rails. Since I would like to have an enclosure for the machine I decided to order two new side pieces in the length of 750 mm, and use the original sides as new supports inbetween the sides. And by limiting the Y axis travel to 370 mm (to fit within the enclosure) I could aswell use my spare XL gantry plate in the Y axis.
    Hopefully the new aluminum extrusions will arrive before next wednesday.

Attached Files:

8. linmag

linmag Well-Known
    Builder

This week there is not that much of an update since I'm still witning for my new 750 mm extrusions. Meanwhile I have talk to people more experienced than me, and they have talked me into to just use the nut block in the Y axis. It would be more difficult to set up three linear guides (C-beam and two linear rails without binding) and without any real need.

Other than that, I have been 3D printing a dust shoe and spacers to fit Makita with the Open builds router mount.
    The dust shoe I found here on Open builds (Scotty Orr - https://openbuilds.com/threads/makita-rt0701c-dust-shoe.10418/, and https://openbuilds.com/projectresources/spindle-mount-adapter-for-makita-rt0701c.268/)
    [​IMG]

I also laser cut a test piece of the work table in the size 370 x 370 mm to get a visual of the end result. On the picture it is not raised to fit above stepper motor as if should be in the end .
    [​IMG]

9. Prometheus

Builder

Can you please provide a link as to where you purchased this unit? Thanks

10. linmag

linmag Well-Known
    Builder

11. Prometheus

Builder