Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam cnc

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Kyo, Jun 24, 2016.

1. jkrink

jkrink New
    Builder

Have you tried au.dhgate.com?

Gyroscope07 likes this.
  2. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

Yes and No, it depends on which plate set you have. Chris plate set can use non-flanged bearings as the bearing location is a "pocket". The Openbuilds plate set or any plate set made on a laser / plasma will need to use the flanged bearings, as the bearing location is a through "hole". You can grab the flanged bearings direct from Openbuilds "Here" or perhaps a local site like Jkrink mentioned.

Chris Laidlaw and Gyroscope07 like this.
  3. Gyroscope07

Builder

Thanks mate, I had a bit of a look. Good to know they're an option.

Thanks Kyo, I ended up getting some off ebay just to be safe. It was $13 for 10. Locally here in Australia they're $14 each from a bearing shop :nailbite:

Great job on the design mate, I just brought all the components to do a custom 1m x 1m build. Can't wait!

4. Chris Laidlaw

Builder

Like Kyo said, all of my plates have precision counter-bores so non-flanged bearings can be used. I am not sure about the Openbuilds plate tolerances, but my holes are press-fit better than +/- .001", so the bearings will not move while machining.
    I have a lot of custom parts for the sphinx on Ebay under chrisclub1.
    All the metal I use is 6061-T6, 6.6mm thick.

5. zuzux

zuzux New
    Builder

hi
    can anyone tell me how much this build cost ?

6. Corey Corbin

Builder

You have probably seen it but they sell the Sphinx in the Openbuilds store.

Giarc likes this.
  7. Tom C

Tom C New
    Builder

As Corey stated, the mechanical items can be purchased as a kit from openbuildpartsstore.com . That is probably the most cost effective approach. About two years ago I spent about $1700 sourcing the individual components, including the stepper motors, stepper drivers, and control board, but not including cables, the spindle or the spindle power supply. There were also other miscellaneous costs for bulding an electronics enclosure, dust collection tubing, etc.

Tom C

8. zuzux

zuzux New
    Builder

so for 1.7k i'm better with shapeoko xl then ... cheap plus support and warranty

9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Sphinx 1050 with power supply, wiring kit, 4 steppers and controller (Xpro V4 - blackbox is same price) is 1532 dollars.
    Alex.

10. zuzux

zuzux New
    Builder

11. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Absolutely not. The Shapeoko XL is a poorly designed machine, with low quality parts. You are WAY better off with a Workbee or Lead machine than a Shapeoko or an Xcarve. Just as a for instance, the Workbee has 48 polycarbonate wheels, where the Shapeoko has 20 soft nylon wheels. Nuff said...

MG

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  12. zuzux

zuzux New
    Builder

and that stepcraft ?

13. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I don't know a great deal about the stepcraft, but I notice they mention a Dremel or Proxxon as the spindle. These are basically engraving tools and do not have the capabability of a router or spindle. It suggests the machine is not capable of handling the weight and power of a tool capable of substantial machining.
    I can only refer you back to @Metalguru's message above. I have a workbee 1010, leadscrew machine and can vouch for it's ability to machine wood (including hardwoods) plastics and aluminium (provided you use an alloy suitable for machining).
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt and zuzux like this.
  14. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

I've heard some good things about the Stepcraft, but also some bad things. Their spindle of choice is their MM1000, which might look like a Dremel but is actually a German made 1.4 HP spindle that is very good quality. It costs 3 times what a Dewalt DWP611 does. Overall, a pretty nice machine. Things I don't like -
    • they use pretty flimsy looking extrusions for the axes, and round metal rollers. That's got to have some play in it.
    • You have to use their spindle.
    • they use small pancake style stepper motors. Can't imagine they would have as much torque as the NEMA23's in the WB kit
    • integrated electronics - all one board. If you blow a stepper driver, its hundreds of dollars to fix
    • same price as the Shapeoko, but better quality for sure
    • made in Germany - Support America!
    Still think the WB or Lead is way better bang for the buck.

MG

Paul Stoller and Alex Chambers like this.
  15. Paul Stoller

Paul Stoller Well-Known
    Builder

I had just come across Stepcraft today, and overall I think I prefer the openbuilds designs as well, that being said that ATC they have developed for their kit looks pretty sweet.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  16. ashish B

ashish B New
    Builder

I build my own inspired by kyo and I thing being a complete noob, it came out excellent. I used all solid material and water cooled spindles etc and machine does wonders

Attached Files: