Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Denis Lapratte

Denis Lapratte Well-Known
    Builder

But how do you adjust master/slave without stalling one of the two and causing a misalignment when one of the two stall?

2. sharmstr

sharmstr Master
    Moderator Builder

I made the same adjustment on Y and Y2 at the same time. Didnt havent any issues with one stalling.

3. Denis Lapratte

Denis Lapratte Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks, will try this when installing.

4. Muxa

Muxa Well-Known
    Builder

After some adventures with the local post loosing my package, bit finally received the BlackBox!
    Assembling was straight forward: easy, quick a lot of fun.
    Today i have finished setting up on on by OX CNC and configuring everything.
    IMG_5766.jpg
    I have yet to run something with it but so far i really like it - quite drivers and a slick package.
    Looking forward to putting it the test.

Page about my CNC: Ooznest OX CNC.

Attached Files:

5. crnrstndes

crnrstndes Journeyman
    Builder

I have a quick question I hope. I received my BlackBox and I have set it up as per the Wiki and the various videos. When I turn the box on all my motors become energized. When I connect to the Open Builds Control Panel everything works as it should (I have a C-Beam XL) as it jogs correctly and is really smooth but I am upgrading from a Audrino Uno / C-Shield and when it was connected I could jog my axis' by hand. With the BlackBox I can't move any of the axis' by hand! Any help would be appreciated!

6. crnrstndes

crnrstndes Journeyman
    Builder

Another quick question, I want to use UGS as well as Easel, I suspect the BlackBox will work with any GRBL based program?? Thanks!

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Thats a Grbl setting, but PLEASE do not change it (we set it be default to prevent people moving it by hand... See next section) and NEVER move an axis by hand. Stepper motors when spun by the axle, become a generator. Pushing voltage back into the driver when you move the axis by hand. Guess what happens when you push the stepper into becoming a generator spitting current and even high voltage if you move fast enough, into a driver thats not supposed to be getting that? Poof, magic smoke, and a non working board. This holds true for almost all stepper drivers. Never move an axis by hand. Use the JOG functions in software

Mark Carew likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Standard Grbl so yes, if software works with Grbl it should

crnrstndes likes this.
  9. crnrstndes

crnrstndes Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Peter, I was just concerned about the fact the motors were energized and they have a hum coming from them! Good information! Thanks again!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. JoshT

JoshT New
    Builder

Mine has started doing this too - was working fine until I went to OpenBuilds Control v1.0.179...

11. Peter Van Der Walt

It is very unlikely yo be software related, more likely EMI (If ever in doubt, check the Changelog, see if there was any changes to thing you suspect: OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL )
    - seperate your power (mains) and signal wires with some distance between them. Also motor wires - they also emit some EMI
    - use good quality USB cables with Ferrite Cores

And make sure Windows isnt shutting down your Port for you (USB Selective Suspend) : USB device not getting along with Windows 10? Try this quick fix.