Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox Y Axis issue, seems to stall?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by BillyBob, Jun 29, 2019.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

This issue happened the other day when I first installed the Blackbox, then I changed something in Grbl settings and it worked fine.

Today after using the calibration wizard on the Y axis, it is happening again. I try to move the Y axis and it moves maybe 5 or 10 mm then the stepper(s) howl like they are stalled... It is like only one of the Y steppers is being driven at the correct rate and the other is not.

When I go into the wizard and use the Y calibrate tool, they both move and sound as they should.

I am 99.9% sure it is something I am doing wrong with the OB control software, not mechanical.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
    Bob

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Adjust the motor(s) current using the trim pots on the side. OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation

The only thing I can think of in the grbl settings that would effect this is the acceleration rate. If you set it to high, the motors do that. What machine do you have?

BillyBob likes this.
  3. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

Actually I had them set higher when it was working... It is a custom built machine, not an OB standard.

4. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

Well the speed was set higher before, but I took your advice and dropped the speed down, and that was the ticket... THANK YOU....

I am using the Blackbox, and OB high torque steppers... Just cut my first piece the OB Hello World in wood.. Works great!

Thank you.

sharmstr likes this.
  5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Excellent. You should still go through motor current adjustment procedure. It could be that they are set to low and that's why it was stalling. Conversely, its completely possible that one or more is set to high with will cause them to cut out when they over heat.

6. BillyBob

BillyBob New
    Builder

The motor current settings was my first thought and it didn't make any difference.

However, since you bring it up, I followed the instructions on adjusting the current, however, no matter what I do seem to get the LEDs to light?