Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

BlackBox X32

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by OpenBuilds, Nov 23, 2022.

1. OpenBuilds

OpenBuilds Well-Known
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

OpenBuilds published a new build:

Read more about this build...

David the swarfer likes this.
  2. Michael De Vuyst

Builder

Is the BlackBox X32 going to be able to do automatic tool changes?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

sergiomajluf and that-jim like this.
  4. that-jim

that-jim Journeyman
    Builder

I would be very happy to see a semi automatic tool change. I'm hoping for the kind of thing where you make one gcode file and control would prompt you to change the tool and then automatically measure the offset and carry on with the job.

dJOS_500 and Michael De Vuyst like this.
  5. Helios Innov

Builder

I'm having a couple issues with my X32. My 0-10V range is actually 7.2 to 12.3 (S0 to S24000) and thats at the bottom of the adjustment range. Also, I cannot seem to connect to the controller via network. All the network options are set correctly, except $73 which doesn't display a figure regardless of setting $73=1

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Please get in touch with the store via Support > New Ticket and they will help you with the issues. Thanks

7. Colin53

Colin53 New
    Builder

Hi, I have been running the old black box with Super PID. Using PWM and on/off changed to dir pin and dir pin reversed in config.h. Worked great. What changes/new connections do I need to make with the X32? Wiring and firmware-wise? Thanks.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Wiring wise should be just about the same, we have a Tool Enable pin now, so shouldn't need to change DIR to be an Enable any more. But if you do get stuck, reach out, we don't currently have the SuperPID in our documentation but we'd be happy to add it, thus also happy to work on it with you :)

Colin53 likes this.
  9. Colin53

Colin53 New
    Builder

cool. On initial setup, without restoring previous grbl settings from the old BB, the new tool pin in place of the old dir pin, X32 "tool on" LED is off, and Super PID is in a 5000rpm (min rpm) tool run state at startup. Meaning the tool pin on X32 needs reversal I presume. If I execute a tool on command from OBControl, the tool on light comes on, and the super PID shuts off. Will that need a config.h edit and compile? Or is there a $ command? Can you clarify the function of $7? Thanks.

#9 Colin53, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  10. Helios Innov

Builder

I have some issues with my Y axis constantly going into overload on the X32. Is there any more information from the unit as to why it may have gone into overload? I had the same issues with the factory GRBL controller board I was running; I'm starting to think the stepper might have an issue?

Adam Bivens likes this.
  11. Peter Van Der Walt

See docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation] > Fault Indicators in second half of the page.

But yes, if multiple controllers have an issue, i would also suspect wiring shorts or incorrect motor specs, maybe even a damaged motor.

12. Daniel Jackson

Builder

Sorry if this has been discussed, but do you connect to WIFI. I entered in SSID and pw in firmware settings but it will not connect.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

That should be all it takes. Make sure signal is sufficiently strong, details correct, and check router settings as well (802.11b/g enabled, no mac filtering, dhcp working etc). Sometime a reset helps it connect after intial setup (either when prompted by Grbl Settings when clicking Save, or by pressing front panel button)

David the swarfer likes this.
  14. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

yeah, had to reset to get mine to connect to wifi after I set the details.

15. Peter Van Der Walt

@Colin53 Sorry I missed this reply over the weekend:

"$16 Spindle Pins Invert" allows you to configure spindle pins on the fly: Try $16=0 and $16=1 in turn see which one works.

key: `$7`
    title: `Disable spindle with 0 speed, boolean`,
    Will have to crosscheck the grblHAL wiki/src but I think it would turn off the Enable pin when you send S0 (thus not specifically needing M5, allowing S0 to disable it as well. Most CAMs add the M5 though)

Colin53 likes this.
  16. Daniel Jackson

Builder

I have tried a different network with different SSID and PW. It will not find it nor give the X32 a wifi address. I was able to connect one time to the ESP32 via web interface. But the unit will not connect via wifi, nor can I search via bluetooth. Also on a side note, should I start a new thread, I realized I hijacked this one. Thank you. I have not completed hooked it up to my machine just give it power and USB to try and connect. Worried about bugs with my current blackbox does work and I need the machine.

Attached Files:

17. Colin53

Colin53 New
    Builder

Thanks, $16=1 is correct for super PID run/stop. This eliminates the need for the manual firmware edit that was necessary on the 4X controller. "RUN" on computer (non manual) control set-up superPID connects to "TOOL" on X32, PWM to PWM, ground appropriately. I gotta say, for a non-coder, filling in the steps between "turn computer on" and "uncomment this line in config.h using a text editor and compile" was a bit of a trial. This is much easier. Thanks again.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  18. Daniel Jackson

Builder

I checked the $$ and it does have an IP address and it connected to my network, however I cannot connect to the X32, either via bluetooth or WIFI. USB Only

19. Daniel Jackson

Builder

I deleted and reset everything again, and Now it is connecting via wifi. Not sure why.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

$I to check IP (or use $$ but set static IP, not for checking though)

After saving SSID and PSK > Reset as it looks for wifi during startup

21. Daniel Jackson

Builder

I am currently on newest OB control, could it be an OB. I can connect and see X32 via web settings in a browser. I'm a little lost an frustrated. Is there better documentation somewhere I can read?
    When it intermit will connect, cannot access SD card or find a way to connect via Bluetooth.

Attached Files:

22. Peter Van Der Walt

Not enabled by default (Bluetooth is slow, unreliable - rather use a USB cable. It's really not worth your time to try using Bluetooth for this use case)
    The grblHAL wiki Home · grblHAL/core Wiki is a good start

Make sure the SD card is formatted as FAT32. Otherwise it should just work

We still strongly recommend CONTROL+USB cable as the primary interface - best set of features, best performance, best reliability.

23. Daniel Jackson

Builder

So Wifi is not a good way to go? This is the primary reason I purchased it at this time. I have a USB cord running from my computer to machine across a gap and I occasionally trip on it, so I was hoping WIFI would take care of this problem.

24. Peter Van Der Walt

Wifi is good, but something in your network is not playing nicely. I can't directly help with that. We have about 15 odd BlackBoxes in the three different Labs, all running Wifi without issue. Many customers too. I don't know why yours is unreliable - but usually issues like that relates to wifi signal. The antenna is inside the box, so nearer a good AP you can get it the better

PS: We'd have recommended an Interface :) - no USB cable, no computer. Self contained user interface right at the machine. See https://docs.openbuilds.com/interface

25. Daniel Jackson

Builder

I have the interface. Currently I use interface to control the machine but Control software to load file and actually start machine. I dont like the 8 char limit for naming on interface. USB to Interface from computer. I was looking for a way to eliminate the usb Cable. I need the USB to power the interface for wifi to connect to machine to start file. I pretty much just use it as a pendant to set up and move.
    Will the new X32 provide enough power to interface to power up the WIFI, the blackbox does not.

26. Peter Van Der Walt

27. Daniel Jackson

Builder

on
    1.57, I will look at retrofit

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  28. Daniel Jackson

Builder

wifi works without usb on interface now. Thank you. no way to bypass the naming limitation on interface usb uploads?

29. Peter Van Der Walt

Not at the moment no, sorry :(

30. Dandrews9338

Builder

Hi has anyone else found that relay 1 is wired to Normally closed pin and not normally open pin as the manual for blackbox x32, please see pics attached

Thanks David

Attached Files: