Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox Controller over Bluetooth

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ctk, Aug 24, 2020.

1. ctk

ctk New
    Builder

Hi

Im new to CNC and got my feet wet with an OpenBuild LEAD1010 CNC, no regrets so far.

I would love to try a bluetooth interface for the Blackbox 4 controller. I have done it before for other Arduino projects and an HC-06/05 BT module can well keep up with the GRBL baud rates as other people have done it.

Before I endeavor I was hoping to find more info on the Blackbox, as in what exactly is the "brain board" I found these links:

BlackBox Motion Control System

docs:blackbox:aux-serial [OpenBuilds Documentation]

I know it is a ATmega328p and it seems to be a plain arduino boot loader running GRBL 1.1. My idea is in the lines of:

Bluetooth Device Setup | Grbl Controller
    View Serial Monitor Over Bluetooth - Arduino Project Hub

I will appreciate any info or pointer on the blackbox or on this idea...

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We would advise against it. Bluetooth in a electrically noisy environment of a CNC (steppers, spindles, static electricity, dust collection) does not fare well. And worse, garbled serial comms can cause the machine to perform dangerous unwanted moves causing damage to itself or humans around it. We highly recommend sticking to a wired connection.
    Bluetooth's short range is such that a cable is not much more of a limitation anyway