Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

bCNC Arrow Key Jogging

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by John Davies, Jun 30, 2019.

1. John Davies

Builder

Does anyone know if bCNC can be set up for realtime jogging like the OpenBuilds controller. I have bCNC installed on a RPi with a 7" touchscreen. Whenever I try to jog my machine with the arrow keys the steppers do not stop immediately. It appears the movement buffer has to empty itself before it stops. The longer you hold the movement key down, the longer it takes to stop. Is there something I am missing with bCNC, any settings that have to be changed for controlled jogging. I would appreciate any help on this matter. Here's hoping that one day OpenBuilds controller will run on the Pi.
    Thanks,
    John

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Doesnt sound like it: vlachoudis/bCNC

"Note: the current implementation of a jogging feature in bCNC has not incorporated the new jogging capability from Grbl 1.1, which allows the user to cancel the movement in real time. For this reason, be careful when sending multiple jogging commands as you will not be able to cancel commands that are already in the buffer and therefore may crash the machine or hit the limit switches."

3. John Davies

Builder

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll sit tight and see if there will be an update.
    John

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I use a generic USB gamepad for jogging. I run Linux so it runs through software called 'qjoypad' that translates stick movements to key presses.

I used to have a USB numkeypad for jogging which is nice but the gamepad is better as I can map extra keys like 'ESC' to get into jog mode, + ans - to change jog step, and so on.

I am hoping that continuous jog mode is implemented soon, that would be great! However, don't forget that you need both modes, continuous for rough positioning and step mode for fine positioning.

OpenBuildsCONTROL does it nicely (-:

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.