Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

At a loss with error 9..

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by OICITNOW, Jan 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

20220105_113130.jpg
    I surfaced my spoilboard all worked well.
    Created another file to cut gridline into spoilboard and no matter what i do this code rears its ugly head.
    Homing works fine.
    Bounce off clears the limit switches fine.
    I havent changed anything since surfacing spoilboard but this keeps happening.
    I set xyz zero just fine and the second i hit go...This happens.
    Im also attaching the gcode if someone would take a look please, I am at a loss..
    and the project file is attached.

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Look at the Alarm 2 error. Your gcode will exceed the machine travel. As programmed, you need 43.0315" in X and 46.1062992" in Y. And this is from your work 0 position. If you really have that amount of travel, then you need to either turn off soft limits or adjust your max travel settings. Both are in the grbl settings tab. $20, $130 and $131

If you dont have that amount of travel, then you need to adjust your grid.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

Thank you ill try again with this advice.

sharmstr likes this.
  4. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

Resized the project well wthin travel limits. Homed machine all limit switches working fine. Loaded Gcode and zeroed out XYZ, Homed it again for kicks, hit run and,,,,,,,,same error code.
    Are there any other issues that would cause this to happen?

5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Did you check the max travel settings like I suggested? You can have 12 foot table and still have that error if those settings arent correct for your machine.

6. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

I did, at this point The default machine settings are all i have ever used. The only thing ive done is ramped up the speed of travel,reversed the z axis so that i dont have to keep unbolting things to change the height for bigger material.
    Limit switches all function,never had any EMI issues of any kind. i have gone through the wiring,checked and rechecked every setting possible. I just tried to run a test aircut on a piece measuring 5" x 20" in the center of the bed, set XYZ zero 2" off the table hit run.....same thing. makes me wonder if i should have waited and bought a different machine as this needs constant attention. The eccentric nuts never stay adjusted, constant binding issues on one side of the y axis, and now this just came out of the blue and seems to be unsolvable.....

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Did this have any effect on your Z jog direction? If so, did you Invert Z Direction? Did you do so by changing motor wiring (reversed coil order) or by changing the $3 Direction Invert parameter in Grbl settings?. And did you then also fix your Z homing Direction ($23 Homing Direction Invert) to match if it was needed (might have been fine)? Any mechanical changes you make, also changes settings required from the defaults, so the default profile may no longer apply. Upload a Grbl Settings backup and we'll help your Review it

Also, please always alert us when you are not running standard configurations - as this would allow us to zoom in on more possible causes - otherwise the assumption is your machine is built the way we designed it and the settings is as per our proven profiles.

Eccentrics: Make sure you tighten the nuts properly after adjustment
    Binding: Make sure setscrews on shaft coupler is tight (if not, coupler can slip on motor shaft or leadscrew - causing axis to go skew and bind), and could also be shoddy wiring causing the motor to work intermittently: See docs:blackbox:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Not usual issues, so do go over your assembly - as it is a kit, it really is only as good as you build it - loose fastners, loose terminals, frame built out of square, etc can cause the issues you describe

Everything is solvable. Upload a Grbl Settings backup and we'll help your Review it

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Line 4 of your Gcode, Z127 - that's quite high you're raising up for a safe height - just to machine a grid pattern, so also check your CAM setups - perhaps the Soft Limit violation is in Z?

upload_2022-1-7_18-29-33.png

sharmstr likes this.
  9. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

Ill go through it again and post a backup of the settings as you suggested. I have been through the mechanicals over and over again. The binding has been an issue since i built it but it happens randomly.
    I just changed the flex couplings,nut blocks,chcked the bearings,tightness of nut blocks, cleaned and lubed the lead screws with PTFE. Thanks for your input on this as any help appreciated.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Intermittend motor issue could also be a break inside a cable under the insulation (at a stress point, bending back and forth - can break wires off inside) - if its always one side's motor, consider replacing that cable if you don't find any loose/incorrectly installed terminals.

11. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

After taking your advice on what to check it seems to have been $3 Direction input parameter. It wasnt clear to me what this was for so i overlooked it as everthing else seemed fine.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help me solve this issue by offering the possible settings to try instead of a canned wiring,emf problem.
    All is good now!
    Thanks to everyone else who weighed in also.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

We don't have canned responses. We do have documentation for frequently encountered issues, and you will only ever be referred to that if it applies to your situation given information you supply. If it does not apply due to a lack of info (like not disclosing you changed from a default build spec) we are sorry that you find the FAQ response annoying, but note it was offered either in response to the info or lack thereof provided, or as a testing step along the way to finding a root cause.

13. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

I should have worded that better. I didnt mean to infer that you give canned responses. I have been helped more than once on this forum and am grateful for the help recieved.
    Thanks again,next time ill be more clear with my question and provide all info up front.

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  14. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

Well, I think i spoke too soon.....
    That error 9 has reared its head again.
    Let me start by saying I have an Openbuilds Lead1515 on which i did reverse the high Z mod by flipping the gantry beam around and adding another gantry plate with extreme v wheels.
    I did this because i was tired of loosening the whole z axis to move it up or down more, and so far, I'm happy with it this way.
    I was able to set up homing and soft limits no problem.
    Surfaced the soil board no problem.
    I air cut the Hello world project in Openbuilds Cam no problem.
    But for some reason when i try to cut file created in V Carve Pro 11.010 this is a problem.
    I zero out x,y,z hit run and error 9
    I am able to run the surfacing wizard in OBControl ,the Hello world in OBCam but when i try to run a VCarve file this happens..
    Could this be an issue in the Vcarve grbl mm post processor?
    I have even tried to draw and cut a 10" square to check it and still the same error.
    I have tried everything suggested and i just don't know where to go from here...
    Please help.

Attached Files:

#14 OICITNOW, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  15. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Vectric Z safe 2.jpg It says "Error 2 - G-code motion target exceeds maximum machine travel", unfortunately grbl doesn't tell you which axis this error occurred on, but you need to check where you might be telling the machine to go beyond it's limits. As you are using Vectric I would first suspect the Z retract heights - in the toolpath tab click on setup and check what Vectric has set for the "Home/Start position" the Z height set there for the position the machine will move to at the start and end of a job is often too high.
    Alex.

Vectric Z safe 2.jpg

Sorry - didn't see you crv file initially - 3 inch Z height above material is very likely your issue.

Attached Files:

#15 Alex Chambers, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  16. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

Im going to check that and get back to you. Thank you.

17. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

I reset the "gap above material to .5" set XYZ zero went to run the gcode and it seemed like it was going to work it started retracted the z axes like it was going to run the file then it just errored out again..
    Im using Vcarve Pro ver 11 and am starting to wonder if there is an issue in the post processor itself...

18. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Error 9 on it's own doesn't tell us what the issue is - there is usually more detail. Do you know exactly what the error message said? Or what the serial console said immediately before the error message?
    The post processor is widely used, if there were issues with it we would have heard.
    Alex.

#18 Alex Chambers, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    sharmstr likes this.
  19. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Hey Alex, it doesnt. All move are in the current WCS.

20. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

Im going over the setup again. I have to be overlooking something as I cant find any mechanical nor electrical issues, but I'm going to go through every setting, every part and every job setup setting in Vcarve .
    I hate to keep showing up here with this issue,but do know that i appreciate everyone trying to help me resolve this. I'll check back after I've done all these things. Thanks again to everyone.

21. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you get an error again, get a screenshot of the error message and the serial console.
    Alex.

22. Peter Van Der Walt

And the Vectric and gcode files. So we can see what the OP sent, how he set up his job, and the resultant error (screenshot shows lead up and accompanying alarm data that merely stating "error 9" does not) - the more details provided the less we have to guess, the quicker it gets solved

Case in point, include the gcode file (and other info requested) each time you mention something like this. On its own your statements mean nothing. If you included the screenshot of the error we would know if Error 9 (which is always just a symptom of an earlier alarm - read the error onscreen we ALWAYS include earlier alarm details on the error message for Error 9 exactly to determine root cause) again was related to soft limits, we could already have reviewed the gcode to see what that first Z move was. If it was still 3 inch or something we'd know you forgot to fix the above. If it was something else we could work that too.

Not including files just add to yours (and ours) frustration to find the answers you need.

#22 Peter Van Der Walt, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  23. OICITNOW

OICITNOW New
    Builder

Peter and Alex Thank you both very much for your help with this issue..
    Due to my own oversight.. TWICE! Is what caused the problem.
    When I was going over the job setup parameters in Vcarve I thought i had set retract Z 1" in fact i had somehow hit the 1 twice making it 11".
    OOPS shame on me twice. So Alex you were correct once I changed the Z retract to a reasonable height it all worked perfectly!
    Peter Thank you for your patience with this and I will make sure next time all relevant info is presented.
    I appreciate your time and effort with this for the last few posts. Thanks Again as this forum and its members are a valuable resource for newbies especially.