Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Aluminum OX build with some modifications

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Dave Zahn, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Dave Zahn

Dave Zahn New
    Builder

Dave Zahn published a new build:

Read more about this build...

GrayUK likes this.
  2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Nice work Dave. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the build - I certainly like the progressive idea of using the machine to make the next generation of plates etc.

Tweakie.

3. MTO

MTO Well-Known
    Builder

I'm curious about the router motors. It looks like Grandpa is using something water cooled, while the OX has a small makita router. The water cooled motors are usually higher powered, so I'm curious why you didn't move it over to the presumably better/newer CNC?

4. Dave Zahn

Dave Zahn New
    Builder

The spindle on Grandpa is just a simple DC spindle bought online. It doesn't have the torque that the new router has. The only thing I wish was that I could use the digital speed control from Grandpa on the new OX CNC (name... Young Whipper Snapper??... nah)

MTO and Robert Hummel like this.
  5. Dave Zahn

Dave Zahn New
    Builder

Word to the Wise: After having severe backlash problems, I decided to check all the belts. Belts were fine but in the process of pulling them off, I noticed the X axis pulley was loose. The teeny tiny set screws holding it to the stepper motor's shaft had apparently worked themselves loose. So, my word to the wise is: Locktite!

Locktite is your friend! :)

BNMaker likes this.
  6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

It is a common problem Dave. Consider increasing the flat area on the spindle as well, to get a situation whereby the spindle can't turn even if the screw is a bit lose, short of the screw falling out.

Gray

7. Dave Zahn

Dave Zahn New
    Builder

Thanks! I bought some M3 screws that have a larger cup head. This way I could tighten them without stripping out the allen screw. I'm not so worried about creating an off balance wobble because the steppers don't spin all that fast. I also used some Locktite Blue (removable with handtools) to lock them in. Hopefully won't have the problem again.

GrayUK and Robert Hummel like this.
  8. Dave Zahn

Dave Zahn New
    Builder

Does anyone know where I can find stronger G3 belts? I'm thinking kevlar reinforced or something like that.

9. Roy Eddy

Roy Eddy New
    Builder

where did you get all the plates to build your ox ?

10. Dave Zahn

Dave Zahn New
    Builder

Roy, I had an old cnc mill that I had made of wood. I used that to make plates out of acrylic.

GrayUK likes this.
  11. BNMaker

BNMaker Well-Known
    Builder

I have enough openbuilds extrusion, wheels and motors to make three Oxen. I initially bought a set of Ox alloy plates from Australia but buying aluminium plate here is going to be difficult. Do you think 20mm acrylic would be strong enough for basic wood carving/routing?