Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Acro Build - Blackbox Help - Error 31

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Eric W Gormly, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Eric W Gormly

Builder

I just got my Acro 20x20. I have a few questions perhaps some might be able to help me with?

Pretty much everything went smoothly, for the most part anyway. I like the system, see lot's of potential.

The hardest part was actually using the flexible tubing clamps. They do not seem to be the proper size for the flexible tubing. Upon fully closing with both holes lined up they crush the flexible tubing, not to mention the enormous tension it is under to get it to that point. Is this right? Is this how it is supposed to be?

I spent at least 15 minutes trying to get one simple clamp on the gantry. (the other side attachment to the rail was much easier) My fingers are killing me (lol).

So is there another size up I can get or something?

Request for help: I downloaded the software control to my main PC, it's not the one I will eventually use, but wanted to give it a shot see what was up, if all worked. Plugged in the USB and got Error 31 on the newly recognized Com5, which from searching is a USB error, a few people seem to have gotten this error and some say it's the cable, some say it's windows. I haven't found a definitive solution.

Nothing is powered on.

I have three cables, one that came with the black box (which I started with first), I changed cables, physical USB ports, restarted windows, I made sure the power and black box were separated, reinstalled the software, restarted, I seem to have tried everything and get the same error every single time. "31". I also tried my laptop with the same error. My "laser" dedicated PC is in another location and before I go set it all up there, I want to be able to handle this error and not just hope it doesn't happen there. Maybe it's something simple?

I really need some advice on this one because the entire point of buying this system was to get away from cheap china junk parts that I cobbled together in my first build. I REALLY want to use the black box and it's software control.

I do want to say the response time and attention on a support ticket about something else was fantastic. Great Job all around.

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Eric W Gormly

Builder

1. "FTDI USB Serial COM 5" is listed in the drop down, so I assumed it installed automatically. That said, I cannot access the link you provided to reinstall or attempt to, because it gives me a "not secure" error on every browser and no option to bypass. Figures.
    2. Yes, both are disabled.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Any other software that could conflict (use serial ports as well)
    Try a different computer

5. Eric W Gormly

Builder

I have tried two, I have one left :( Will try it later. That said, that one only basically has lightburn on it so maybe...

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Error 31 could also be EMi related or bad USB cables. Are you using the included one? And no extensions, hubs, etc in between

7. Eric W Gormly

Builder

OK I got it fixed, I found another place to download the drivers. Can I post a link here or no? I installed "USB to Serial Driver (FTDI Chip Set)" from campbellsci