Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

AcoustoPlot3D

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jeff Powers, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Jeff Powers

Builder

Jeff Powers published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

In situations like this it's probably easier just to contact the parts store and tell them what you need, ie. a "Sphinx 55 with an [x] length Z-axis" and have them send you a quote. They do custom work all the time. But don't worry about having to pay an absurd "custom work price". They don't do that. The Sphinx 55 used to be a stock build with the store and they will know just how much to add and subtract to get you what you need.

That being said though, it would be a lot less expensive to buy 4 actuators plus the few extra framing parts you need and just build a simple custom system.

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thank you @Rick 2.0
    @Jeff Powers this looks like a great build that is right in line with the OpenBuilds mission, to make cutting edge tools available to everyone. I hope this Build will be one that will go on to help others at a fraction of the cost.
    This is how OpenBuilds and its caring community is helping to change the world for the better! :thumbsup:

4. Jeff Powers

Builder

I just reread this and realized that I did just the opposite of what you suggested and ordered a complete Sphinx 55. However I'm glad I did that as I'd rather start off with something so well documented--I watched part of the How To video and learned a lot about how it goes together. Once I have the base and XY actuators built and working I'll just order a longer Z actuator and keep the additional short actuator for something else.

Thanks, Jeff