Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

5 X 5 Plasma SIMPLE Build

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by devloop, Jan 6, 2018.

1. devloop

devloop Well-Known
    Builder

Actually, changed jobs, no longer have those files

2. armando tort

Builder

I want to make this table with gears transmision with acme rail size 1

I see the CNC Electronics Bundle nema 23 with High torque here, can work ?

What advice can you give me, I cut thin materials thin gauges 1.9mm to .91mm

3. Josh Walton

Builder

Hey brother I'm trying to get the measurements of legs like you have on the 5x5 I have the pattern just dont have exact measurements could you possibly have those

4. devloop

devloop Well-Known
    Builder

about 36" would be a good height

5. Todd Schwenk

Builder

Any updates on this build? Is it completed? Did you put in a coolant tub?

6. FullMetal

FullMetal New
    Builder

I just found this build recently. I am late to the game but I want to say Excellent Job! Thank you for sharing!

I have seen many DIY plasma CNC machines online and I agree with your build goals. For example, it is so difficult to avoid warping when welding up a base. It seems every one I've seen online has had to contend with shimming.

I used to work for a company that designs and manufactures electrical component pick and place machines. They have the welding down pat but machined the table surface after the frame was welded, which allows for generous tolerances. For the DIYer, that isn't really an option.

My 17 year old stepson recently started a sheet metal fabrication business and is building up his tool inventory. A plasma CNC is on the horizon. We already have a hypertherm xp45 (we bought together) with the idea of expanding into CNC. If we go the route of building one ourselves, I plan to incorporate many of your ideas. It looks like a fun project and must be very satisfying to put it to use.

7. Iepermaker

Builder

@Bud Griffin, @devloop, @retribution, i try to get in contact via pm:
    You guys claimed to have the build files or made the build. Could one of you please reupload the dxf files?

Anyone else could help in the search for the dxf files of this build?
    Thx.

8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

9. Iepermaker

Builder

Thx for the reply. You quotes a post where other people react that the info is not correct?

I (and the otters) must be blind I guess . Or is it something with account settings or new members not having acces?

1 dxf for the leg and 1 dxf for the gantry side plate. I see jpg’s of 3D builded tables so there must be (at Some point) more to it?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The author of this design has not uploaded all the files. Some people elect not too (not entirely the intention of the Builds system, but it is a private community member's project)

If you are looking for a actual open source Plasma consider one of our off the shelf Lead Machines and add a floating head and torch mount. See Dr D Flo's OpenBuilds Plasma design on YouTube as inspiration