I had saved the top from a cheap old table from a big box store a few years ago because I figured I could do something with it. I finally came up with the "something."
- Machine Type:
- OpenBuilds LEAD Machine
- CAD Fusion 360, Estlcam for CAM of dxf
- Other Controller
- Machine Time:
- 25 minutes
- Bit or Laser Size:
- 3/4" Bowl bit and Sharkbits Compression 1/4"
- Feeds & Speeds:
- Bowl bit - 3000mm/min cutting, 1000mm/min plunge, 3.175mm DOC
Sharkbits 2-flutes-1/4" downcut - 3000mm/min cutting, 1000mm/min plunge, 3.2mm DOC
Detailed work: 3 Flutes Solid Carbide Tapered Ball Nose 1/32" 2000mm/min 0.5mm DOC
- topical hard wood from cheap table top.
May the Fourth (Star Wars day for the non-nerds out there) was coming up and I thought I would make a gift for the nice IT people that make my life easy at work. So I found a good vector image that was fee online (Star Wars: Millennium Falcon Logo PNG Vector (SVG) Free Download), downloaded it, and then imported it as a canvass into a rectangle that had the length I wanted as one dimension. This will scale it to that size automatically. Then I deleted the rectangle and using splines, lines, arcs, and circles I drew the dxf file I would eventually cut over the top of this "canvass." The heavy black lines are what I drew.
I made sure that all inside radiuses were 9.525mm so the 3/4" bowl bit would fit in these corners. I did 3.175mm radiuses on the outside so my Sharkbits 2-flutes-1/4" downcut would fit when cutting the profile. I love this endmill!
The 4 small pockets were done with the same toolpath as the profile cut with this endmill as well.
Prior to doing all the cutting, I should mention that I did a 0.2mm deep facing operation with my 1" spoilboard surfacing endmill due to a lack of consistent thickness, and to remove the old finish. This was done on both sides.
The detailed engraving of the cockpit was done with a 3 Flutes Solid Carbide Tapered Ball Nose 1/32".
After cutting the first one for my IT folks, I decided I wanted one for myself. Aw, who am I kidding. I was always going to make one for myself. So here is one after cutting:
Both after I put 4 coats of Tung oil on them:
And finally, with food for the days festivities courtesy of my awesome wife: