OpenBuilds WorkBee 1050 Machine Parts Bundle please click here.
OpenBuilds WorkBee 1050
40"x20" (1000x500mm) Lead Screw
The OpenBuilds WorkBee Machine is based on the
WorkBee CNC Machine by OpenBuilds Member, Ryan Lock.
We have been working with the WorkBee here in the OpenBuilds lab for some time now. It's a super strong, accurate and easy to assemble CNC machine. It gains its strength by incorporating a combination of C-Beam Linear Rail with multiple uses of the full size Xtreme Solid V wheels! It’s a great machine and we're sure you will love it!
Ooznest.co.uk – Ryan Lock’s UK Based company where you can find the Ooznest WorkBee Kit and many other great OpenBuilds Parts.
Thanks goes out to Ryan for creating and sharing this awesome open source design as well as all contributors who help to spark and create new ideas here on OpenBuilds and throughout the open source community. You guys rock.
- The OpenBuilds WorkBee 1510 has a footprint of about 60" (1500mm) x 40" (1000mm) and is a belt driven machine with the exception of the Z axis being lead screw driven
- The OpenBuilds WorkBee 1010 has a footprint of about 40" (1000mm) x 40" (500mm) and is a lead screw driven machine.
- The OpenBuilds WorkBee 1050 has a footprint of about 40" (1000mm) x 20" (500mm) and is a lead screw machine.
Materials this machine can cut and carve
MDF Spoiler Board Size:
- Woods Hard/Soft
H 3/4" (19mm) W 14-1/2" (370mm) L 39-3/8" (1000mm)
Assembly time: Can be assembled in an afternoon.
Build Video Link Sections
Video Build of the OpenBuilds WorkBee 1050
Jump in and when you complete this easy and fun step by step build-along video you will have an awesome 3 Axis CNC router for your work shop.
Click below for different chapters of the Video Build
Wiring Build Video of the OpenBuilds WorkBee 1050Electronics:
WorkBee 1050 Wiring Kit
Please note: There are many different options for controller/driver packages that can be used to control your machine so be sure to explore all the controller options and pick the one that works for your needs.
Please see wiring diagram for this machine below
The board we are using:
CNC xPRO Driver (All in one grbl controller/driver board)
Software Work Flow:
Please note: Be sure to check out all the cool CAM programs out there to take your machine to the next level!
Mods and Upgrades
- We use the free SketchUp Make for our CAD (makes the 3D model parts)
- We use the free OpenBuilds CAM plugin/extension for our CAM (Works up the cut lines and makes the GCODE for the parts)
- We use the free OpenBuilds Control for the controller (Allows you to control your machine and sends the GCODE to the machine)
*If your looking to use a water cooled spindle be sure to check out the 3D printed reducer ring/spindle mount adapter created by Tyler Harley
Spindle Mount Adapter
*Companies that sell collets for the DeWalt 611 and Bosch Colt Routers that will accept 1/8" shaft bits
- OPEN SOURCE - The Workbee machine is Open Source and the Builder community is encouraged to modify and build on this design.
- EASY TO BUILD - With the V-Slot Modular Framing System and OpenBuilds Build-Along Video, assembly is quick and easy.
- AFFORDABLE - OpenBuilds budget friendly parts allow Builders the opportunity to freely create.
- CUSTOMIZATION - Take it to the next level and make it your own! Share your builds with the Open Source Builders community OpenBuilds.comGrab your Bundle Pack Today and Start Your Build!
- For your convenience and ease of purchase this Build is available as a Parts Bundle -
OpenBuilds WorkBee 1050
The OpenBuilds WorkBee 1050 - 1000x500 Lead Screw Driven CNC Machine
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildThe WorkBee is a great example of what can be done with the OpenBuilds system. So we worked in some changes for production and are happy to make it available to community.
Inspired byThe original Ooznest WorkBee by Ryan Lock