LEAD CNC™ Machine Parts Bundle please click here.
OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine
By Mark Carew
This awesome design has been in the works for sometime now, and through rigorous beta testing and staying true to the modular nature of the OpenBuilds system, its finally here! The OpenBuilds LEAD CNC ™ has proven itself as a workhorse capable of not only cutting large/hard material cuts, but also having the ability to transform and grow into any configuration that you can imagine!
OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Specs:
Materials this machine can cut and carve
- Woods Hard/Soft
- FoamsMDF Spoiler Board Size:
H 1/2" (12mm) W 32" (820mm) L 40" (1020mm)
Assembly time: Can be assembled in an afternoon.
Video Builds of the OpenBuilds LEAD CNC0:00 - Intro
Jump in and when you complete these easy and fun step by step build-along videos you will have and awesome 3 Axis CNC router for your workshop!
2:01- Wheel Assembly
2:26 - Y Gantry Plate Assembly
19:35 - X Gantry Plate Assembly
25:27 - Z Axis
38:55 - Frame Assembly
1:46:29 - Spoiler Board
Software Work Flow:
Please note: Be sure to check out all the cool CAM programs out there to take your machine to the next level!
- We use the free SketchUp Make for our CAD (makes the 3D model parts
- For creating 2D drawings we use the Free and Awesome OpenBuilds CAM
(CAM Works up the cut lines and makes the GCODE for the parts)
- For controlling the machine we use OpenBuilds CONTROL Software
(CONTROL Reads the gcode created in cam and moves the machine to make the part or art)
There are many different options for controller/driver packages that can by used to control your machine so be sure to explore all the controller options and pick the one that works for your needs.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are using an OpenBuilds BlackBox all in one plug and play controller you can skip these settings and instead follow along with the main BlackBox wiring video.
Please see the wiring diagrams for popular controllers for this machine below:
Watch a video of how to wire this type of controller to your machine.
More information on the xPRO v3 (wiki)
More information on the xPRO v4
- OPEN SOURCE - The LEAD CNC machine is Open Source and the Builder community is encouraged to modify and build on this design.
- EASY TO BUILD - With the V-Slot Modular Framing System and OpenBuilds Build-Along Video, assembly is quick and easy.
- AFFORDABLE - OpenBuilds budget friendly parts allow Builders the opportunity to freely create.
- CUSTOMIZATION - Take it to the next level and make it your own! Share your builds with the Open Source Builders community OpenBuilds.com
LEAD CNC 1010 (40" x 40")
The OpenBuilds Lead Machine takes us back to the roots of the OpenBuilds modular building system, and has proven itself as an adaptable design that can compete with any machine in its class!
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildTo display the modularity of the OpenBuilds system and how it can apply to many applications.