Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Zeta1 Structure Printer (modular quad extruders)

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Zeta Dynamics, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Zeta Dynamics

Builder

The Zeta1 is a large format (24x36x36") modular quad extruder 3D printer. It features 4 fully independent extruders to take advantage of the massive print volume and offers flexibility of producing a single extra-large part in up to four materials, or 2 large duplicate parts in 2 materials each, or 4 medium sized duplicate parts in a single material each. This printer is designed to be an affordable (under $10k) industrial structure printer and will serve as my main large format printer for the foreseeable future. I'm a researcher and am designing and building this printer to aide my research professionally rather then shell out $30k for the closest comparable printer with only 2 tool heads.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.16.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.15.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.15.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 3.14.56 PM.png

This design is fully modular and easy to adapt as it's based on standard t-slot rail. The outer frame is 30x60mm extrusions assembled in a crosshatching pattern to ensure rigidity. The physical frame size is 60x60x36". A lot goes into designing, building and troubleshooting a machine this large and complicated, which is why I'm creating this thread. I will likely post my part files and a simple BOM but I'd advise highly against non-professionals replicating this machine.

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_7435.JPG
    IMG_7438.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

Initial frame and bed assembly. The bed is 24x36x0.5" 7001 aluminum plate with 3 industrial silicone heaters for specific zone heating. The thickness of the plate really helps to spread very even temperature on a perfectly level platform. The bed rests on 6x M12 screws tapped directly though 30x60 extrusions and can be easily leveled with a wrench.