Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z motor issues

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Yohaneg, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Yohaneg

Yohaneg New
    Builder

My Nema 23 high torque stepper motor is having issues with going up. I'm using the black box and the Openbuilds interface. Whe I press up the motor goes down but if I down it also goes down so the settings are not inverted also checked that. I'm hearing kind weird noise that was not making before. I attached a video for more details. I'm thinking that it has something to do with power because I'm able to rotate the motor shaft with my hand while power is engaged and I'm not able to do that to the other motors. I checked the cables I even bought a new stepper motor (from Openbuilds same everything) thinking that mine was bad but this one also has the issue. I appreciate any help you guys can throw my way because at this point I don't know what else to check. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

99% of the time that is a single broken wire (or pinched on the insulation at the connector) out of the 4 on the motor connection.
    Could try some more power (turn the current pot up a bit) and also post your grbl settings.
    Easy troubleshooting swap the x and z at the BB and see if the X works well with Z jogging command, swap with 24v power off
    Gary

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

See docs:blackbox-4x:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]

It's NOT that Gary, our factory default current setting is almost always right. Grinding noise should be your clue to point the user at docs:blackbox-4x:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    BlackBox minimum current setting is 1.2A (not 0 like the ones you've used) so even if a user turns it down - it's unlikely to stall. Undercurrent stalls are silent - no "weird noises"

Gary Caruso likes this.
  4. Yohaneg

Yohaneg New
    Builder

Thanks Gary I'm going to tray swaping the x an z at the BB and see what's up. I checked the connectors and everything looks fine no pinched cables. I turned up the current for Z and the grinding got worst so turned it back down. Tomorrow I will also check what voltage is getting to the motor from the BB. Thanks

5. Yohaneg

Yohaneg New
    Builder

So Peter in your experience what do you think it could be? In the manual says to check the motor coil wires. The motor is brand new and the other one was working fine until it didn't. All I did was connect the new motor to the existing connection. And yes in the manual says everything that I am experiencing but the old motor worked fine for years and a brand new motor shouldn't have any wiring issues. Below is what I'm experiencing straight from the manual.

-Motor running randomly in the wrong direction when you jog back and forth. Sometimes it follows the command, sometimes it does not.

-Motor vibrating in one place

-Motor moves, but very shakily, no smooth motion

-Lack of torque as the coils are not getting proper power

-Loud clanking or grinding noises coming from the motor, instead of the expected gentle humming sound

It's NOT that Gary, our factory default current setting is almost always right. Grinding noise should be your clue to point the user at docs:blackbox-4x:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    BlackBox minimum current setting is 1.2A (not 0 like the ones you've used) so even if a user turns it down - it's unlikely to stall. Undercurrent stalls are silent - no "weird noises"[/QUOTE]

6. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Yes the extension wire is broken most likely, not the motor, wires break after years of flex
    Cheers
    Gary

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

You plugged a new motor into the old cable which probably has a short in it.

This is just a suggestion because if the motor coils are not paired properly, it will not function. You are just checking the wires to figure out which two are pairs not opening the motor to check the coils. So it is just a trouble shooting step.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Check the link carefully:

upload_2023-1-27_20-17-56.png

My theory too. Motors doesn't die (easily) - its always wiring. Almost always - at least often enough we wrote a very detailed FAQ for it. The telltale signs are always there

David the swarfer likes this.
  9. Yohaneg

Yohaneg New
    Builder

Update on issue.
    I tested all the cables. Continuity test confirms that there is no broken cables. Tested both motors old and new with a new cable and both showed the same issue. Connected Z to X port in the Blackbox like gary suggested and it worked fine. Connected X to Z port and it moved but very slow. Then moved to the Blackbox and started testing current output on XYZ got a reading from all except Z. Adjusted the current until I got a reading and the machine is working now. The strange thing is that I did this before and it didn't worked but I'll take the win. Probably should start looking into buying a new Blackbox since this one looks like could be having a short of some sort. Thanks everyone for your help.

David the swarfer likes this.