Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z depth problem,workbee

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by kajlo30, Jul 23, 2022.

1. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

Hi everyone,i just finished my spindle tram.I surfaced the spoilboard,its flat,no visible toolmarks,looks& feels flat.This is my second surfacing because when i first surfaced the spoilboard it was bad,alot of tool marks because the spindle was not tramed i think.So after all i tried to make a long 500mm single line test cut with the depth of 5mm.At the starting point it was 5mm but at the end it was like 5.65mm in the middle 5.3mm.I checked the 4 corners of the machine and its flat.I made a quick illustration about the situation.

Attached Files:

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

What controller are you using, what are your configuration settings, what spindle/router are you using?
    There are many possible causes of this - we will have to try to eliminate them one at a time. Check that the motor coupler on the Z axis is not slipping.
    Alex.

kajlo30 likes this.
  3. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

Am using a black box controller, the cut was done with 2200rpm,30mm/s and depth of cut 2.5,using a 1.5kw vevor water cooled spindle.
    I will check the motor coupler later today.Thanks for the fast reply!

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Check that your $1 setting =255.
    Alex.

kajlo30 likes this.
  5. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

So i made some changes.The motor coupler on the z axis is good.$1 is 255.I re-calibrated all the axis.The x,y axis are perfect.I also tried out something.I made a drilling program.I drilled 3 hole along y axis and the depth of all the 3 holes was spot on! But when i tried to mill a square the depth was off, the dept has to be 3mm.

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Your VFD spindle is heavier than our typical routers (and overpowered for the use case) - so you might be seeing the weight causing deflection How to calculate V-Slot® deflection

kajlo30 likes this.
  7. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

Something is not clear for me,if the x rail is bending while the machine is working than how is my spoilboard flat after surfacing.I mean if there is like 0.65mm diference in depth.There will be noticable lines on the spoilboard or am wrong?

8. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

Today i checked out the x axis profile and its not looking so straight.Also as you can see in my older post,the milling gets deeper on the right side, but i dont get the front to back depth diferences...

Attached Files:

9. Peter Van Der Walt

So in tramming, thats why you shouldn't adjust your Spindle - but rather the axis

1) get the beds XY plane perfectly level (no corner raised or lowered compared to others)
    2) z uprights perfectly perpendicular to Y rails
    3) x rail perfectly parallel to the XY plane
    4) spindle mount perfectly parallel with X rail (in the Y direction its automatically perfectly square to Y because you made sure your Z uprights are square, carriage plates are automatically a fixed reference to a rail
    5) lastly make sure your X rail is not "rolled" where it makes to the Z uprights tilting spindle forward or backward

Tramming is NOT a spindle adjustment but a "build the machine as square and perfect as possible"

kajlo30 likes this.
  10. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

Thankyou alot sir,i will check everything i can!

11. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

By the way,if i mill a 50x50 square the actual x/y lenght of the square is correct,so i think the y profile is little bit lower one side and its also rolled.

12. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

I checked everything,i found out the machine was a little bit off,but now is square.The x profile in now flat, and not twisted anymore as you can see in the picture.But now the issue is that the z axis cant travel to the left side cause its jaming on the center of the x rail.I measured the x profile with water level ruler and it was ok.Or maybe i cant use the ruler properly...

Attached Files:

13. Peter Van Der Walt

A level is a builders tool.
    Use a vernier, or ruler to measure distances relative to other components (same height left and right for example)

14. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

I measured out everything.Spindle tramed.Spoilboard surfaced looks good.But the single line millingtest... the depth is still off.

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Are you measuring the depth relative to the top of the stock?
    If so, did you deck off the stock with a surfacing operation?
    if not - what you are seeing is just standard material deviation - that sheet is not going to be micromillimeter precision thickness all over - its going to have high and low spots

[​IMG]

kajlo30 likes this.
  16. Peter Van Der Walt

upload_2022-7-29_21-4-46.png

kajlo30 likes this.
  17. kajlo30

kajlo30 New
    Builder

My Z0 is on the top of the material,and no,i did not surfaced the material...Tomorow i wil surface the top and then i will make a test drill holes and milling.I completly forgott this possibility.