Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Z-Axis motor? + Controller ?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by gazingm42, Feb 15, 2017.

1. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

All, Thanks for all the help and posts on this board.

So if I am building at 1000mm x-axis with a dual 1000mm y-axis I plan on using openbuild nema 23 with 345oz
    of torque, sku# 596. But for the z-axis any reason why I can not use openbuild nema 23 with 175oz
    sku # 518, since the Z-axis should not have that torque. Or am a missing something?

With my countless hours of reading and watch youtube videos. I discovered the tinyg vs the Xpro V3
    controller a difference with 1/8 vs 1/32 stepping. So any thoughts on differences with this 1/8 vs 1/32 limitations.

2. Limine3D

Limine3D Well-Known
    Builder

I have both boards that I used to upgrade a Shapeoko kit. My initial preference has been Xpro V3 because it is smaller, I can use easel, and i could use grbl panel with it (much easier for a noob to use than the tinyg software).

3. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks. What size is your cnc. What size motors did you use. I concern on the amps the pull of 3.amp. The f enrollees both said it uses 2.5

4. Limine3D

Limine3D Well-Known
    Builder

My CNC is fairly basic, so is only doing a cutting space of 12 inches x 12 inches and is using NEMA17 motors. I have hooked up the xpro to NEMA 23 motor with a max peak current of 2.8A and it worked fine (I have a c-beam bundle I am playing around with).

5. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

Limine3D, So the NEMA 23 you have whats the torque on those? Openbuild has 2 nema 23 with different torque. Did you get these via overbuild or other sources?

I am just curious if some of these NEMA 23 with 3.0 or even 3.5A will work with the Xpro??

6. Limine3D

Limine3D Well-Known
    Builder

The torque on my motors are 175oz-in and I got it from openbuilds. Unfortunately because the board is rated for 2.5A I would be reluctant to try a higher amped motor. A better option might be to get individual stepper motors that can handle 4+ amps if you are looking for that kind of thing. The thing with these here contraptions is they can get expensive quick, so I tend to buy within my budget, break it, then upgrade it!

7. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

Because of cost I was looking at getting the same motor of nema23 175oz. I not sure the near double the cost of the 345oz touque is needed.

8. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

My version of the Ox is a lead screw driven 1500 mm Y by 850 mm X and I use 269 oz (Or were they 270?) NEMA 23s on the X and Y and a 175 oz on the Z. It looks like the Parts Store no longer carries the 270 oz. I have a Makita 701 c router as my spindle that the Z needs to support. Last night, I easily cut in one pass 1/4 plywood with a 1/8" single flute bit at 3000 mm/min at setting 3 on the router which is 17000 rpms. I was able to cut 3/4 inch particle board in three 6.35 mm passes using those same settings. I could probably do it faster, but I did not see a reason to try. I have also cut aluminum plate at 700 mm/min at .2 mm depth of cut with no issues. I may try faster or deeper next time to see what happens. All that being said, there may come a day when I upgrade my two Y axis motors to the high torque. I would have started there if they were available then.

I use the DQ542MA drivers (4 total) and an Arduino. I like this setup because it is only about $50 more than the Xpro if you buy a "real" arduino board (knock $10 off if you use a clone) and you can give the motors the amperage they want without worrying. I also noticed the DQ542MAs seemed smoother than the DRV8825 which I started with, which would occasionally miss steps due to overheating even with a fan blowing on them. My Z stepper also seemed to run much hotter with them.

As for the price of the high torque, they are only about $15.50 more for the three you would need totaling $46.50. I believe you will easily get way more than $46.50 worth of performance out of them and with the price of the total build, $46.50 is not a large overall percentage. I feel the same about the DQ542MAs. If you fry one driver, you replace one driver. With an all in one board, that becomes much more difficult.

#8 Giarc, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  9. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

I am finding lots of good info on programing the tinyg controller. But it has the 1/8th stepper limit vs 1/32 on the CNC xpro V3. But trying to find info on programing the board
    seems to be a issue to me. If anyone has any good sites on the software config for the board will be helpful. I trying to figure out what drivers I need for windows or raspberry to run ie grbl panel or
    universal gcode loader.

Thanks

10. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

1/8 microstepping is plenty for a CNC. It is what I use and my steppers run smooth. I may try 1/4 just for fun. I don't think you would notice the difference between 1/8 and 1/32 on a CNC router or mill. 3D printer - maybe. This is a good read. Micro stepping Myths and Realities

#10 Giarc, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  11. gazingm42

gazingm42 Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks, This helps a lot. Make my decision easier. I have my ordered all the hardware yesterday afternoon. Now it makes some of my electronics easier. Now the wait game for things to arrive.

Thank you

12. Limine3D

Limine3D Well-Known
    Builder

thanks Giarc, for the information. Like I said before, my experience is just from experimenting with a shapoko. I would love to see a post on using the motor drivers on here or even on instructables.