Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Yet to receive my OX already planning upgrades, pinion rack X and Y axes.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by j0achim, Oct 20, 2017.

?

Should I use Straight Pinion or Helical Pinion?

1. Straight

50.0%
  2. Helical

50.0%
  1. j0achim

j0achim New
    Builder

Hi!

New here and to the world of CNC, cant wait to get rolling!

Just a few days ago I bought a OX 1000x1500mm from Ooznest that I have yet to receive (they have some lead time) so I expect it in about 2 weeks time, which gives me a little time to order some upgrades in the mean time :D

I am planning to use pinion racks for both X and Y axis. (cheaper, less work and intrusive to install, and easier to source than ball screws)

Now I am trying to figure out tooth count for gears and length between tooth's. (the source I have found offer two types Module 1.0 and 1.5 (3.1416mm and 4.712mm from center of each tooth respectively on the rack)

Pinion rack I am wanting to get is a Helical Pinion rack from Motiontek distance between center of each tooth for the rack I am looking at is 3.1416(+- 0.02) gear I was looking at has 20 teeth, meaning 1 full revolution would give me 62.832mm of travel. Would Nema 23's 123.4N.cm (177.5oz.in) handle this or should I be looking at less travel distance per rev?

And should I use Straight pinion over Helical?

Thanks for reading me!

/j0achim