Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

YAOR (Yet Another Openbuilds Router)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by winand, May 30, 2014.

1. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great looking build @winand love the look of the side plates! What kind of aluminum are you using? seems to be aluminum sheets with some other material (wood?) sandwiched in the center?
    Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

3. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

Jup, as you can read, it's a piece of 6mm MDF sandwiched between 2 sheets of 1,5mm aluminium, glued together with epoxy resin.
    After the epoxy hardened, the plates were cut on a bench saw en corners were rounded with a belt sander machine

4. Mark Carew

My fault I was quickly skimming through the build at work :D Thanks for the explanation seems like this would be a great rock solid light weight gantry.

5. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Excellent work and a well detailed build @winand - The neatness of the wiring within your control box is especially impressive. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

6. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I like the idea of the under-slung motors. I guess this would help in the flex department seeing as how the weight, and drive stress, would be transferred to below the pivot point. You know what I mean.

I know I haven't read it through thoroughly, like Mark, but how much clearance is needed for the motors?

Gray

7. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

@Gray; I think that you mean how much height the Y axis motors take up under the 60x20 beam?
    This is about 6cm (2.36 inch) By turning the motor (Nema17) 45 degrees, the top mounting screw is exactly on the same height as the axles of the vslot wheels (could even get a little higher i think). You won't be able to achieve the same height with not turning the motors, the mounting holes of the motor would get in the way with the wheels.

8. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

@Tweakie; Thanks! It was a tight fit to get al the parts in and make it a bit tidy, but it serves me well and tidyness helps for reliablilty :)

9. GrayUK

It is refreshing to see someone thinking "outside the box". Well it's new to me. :)

Do you tension the Y Axis belt from beneath the Y member with the Reverse T nut? Have you found the One bolt holding the Y member to the front cross member is sufficient to keep the Y track upright and stable?
    [​IMG]
    Good Job
    Cheers
    Gray

10. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

Nope, the hole in the front plate is just a hole where the excess belt sticks out and to grab it when tightning.
    To belt is clampt by a screw and a reversed t-nut which also holds the triangular bracket, it is not cranked down super tight because of the belt..
    The hand is pointing to the set screw:
    temp.jpg

11. Jeferson SImoes

Builder

How do you cut the spacer for the motors? They are accurately with the same length?

12. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

I cut them using a miter saw as accurate as possible.
    After that, i lined them up in a L-profile (so bottoms are lining up) and clamped them in a vice. Then i Filed them carefully to the same length using a hand file. Works surprisingly well.

Jeferson SImoes likes this.
  13. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

Little add-on for my machine; a Z-axis touch plate.
    I mounted a 6,3mm jack socket on the gantry. The touch plate has a 6,3mm plug so i can plug it in when desired.
    It uses the Z- limit switch connection to the controller board. Works like a treat.
    IMG_1994.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG

14. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

@winand

Where did you put your zmax (highest position) limit switch?

15. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

16. GrayUK

Winand. Hi.
    I see you opted for the Kress 1050. What made you go for it? I have pretty much made up my mind to get one. Did you go for the lower speed one?

Cheers Gray

17. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

Yes. i have the "1050 FME-1" (low speed) version. To date i did no extensive milling with it yet, so i can't tell you too much about it.
    I have read it's a stable router motor with very little play in the driveshafts bearings which makes it exellent for precise milling.
    I could have chosen to play with cheaper "Dremel" style drill grinders first but chose to invest a little more bucks right away.
    The Kress is easy to use (just need a wall socket, no separate VFD) and is relative cheap compared to a really professional setup.
    I think it's more useful to be able to use lower spindle speeds for some materials & bits.
    25.000 rpm at max would also be enough for virtual anything, the high speed version is 29.000 rpm max, so not that big of a difference.
    De minimum speed is however a big difference; 5000 against 10.000 rpm ..

18. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

Little update;
    I moved the Y axis limit switches from the fixed table to the movable gantry. This way i have one bunch of cables, eliminating teh need for a splitting limit switch cable. DSC_0001 (3).JPG
    Added a lillte alu profile to protect the switches during moving of the machine;
    DSC_0003 (2).JPG

19. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

I added a camera (endoscope type) on the Kress mounting block.
    I mounted it through a aluminium profile en fixed it with a simple screw, hoping it would be perfect aligned.
    Well, it's very usable, only when moving the Z-axis completely from top to bottom, de cross-hair moves a bit.
    Because you never know which type of bits you're gonna use this has to be adjusted. I'm thinking of a set screw
    to be to tilt the camera slightly (guess 0,5 degrees is already enough)

DSC_0005 (3).JPG

DSC_0007 (3).JPG

Mark Carew likes this.
  20. GrayUK

That looks cool! Is it really working for you? Again, I thought I might set myself up with a camera, it seems to make so much sense, especially when placing the job on the bed, and then defining it's position, as Tweakie did earlier, with a multi-point reference. Where did you get the camera from, and how much?

Gray

21. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

I did install the camera today, did not use it yet for real when milling. It can be very handy i think, but only if it is (and stays) accurate.
    Else you will find yourself checking the offset manually every time ;-)
    Second reason to add the camera is just for the fun of it, it is not that expensive too.
    I got the tip for an endoscope camera from Tweakie, discussing this following build:

http://openbuilds.com/builds/tool-position-setting-part-iii.490/

Note that Tweakie had to secure the sensor inside the camera housing with a bit of glue. I will soon find out if I'll have to do the same.

I searched on eBay for "USB Endoscope Camera" and found a suitable one with an outside diameter of 10mm and a 5m cable for around 12 USD incl shipping.

22. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

Today i have made my first PCB.. ever! :)
    A level bed is very important for milling PCB tracks, because you don't want to cut too deep.
    I have made a little adjustable bed especially for milling PCB's.
    Construction is dead simple; two pieces of MDF with 3 holes in them. (oversized holes in upper one allows pitching) In the bottom one 3 bolts are mounted (fixed). on the lower plane 3 little springs are attached (in this case holded snuggly into 3 under sized holes).
    3 bolts go on the bolts, upper plane, and again 3 bolts.
    IMG_2014.JPG

This ables you to lower the Z-axis at 3 points (near the 3 bolts) 3 times at the same height, compressing the spring a little bit. The only thing you have to do is tighten the lower bolt and then the upper bolt.
    I used an "dome head" bolt screwed into a M6 hole in my kress mounting block, lowered my Z-axis only once and moved it around. The bed follows :)
    DSC_0001.JPG

This really is my first try in milling a PCB, and the results are above satisfying i must say. When looking up close, it's still a little bit rough and the depth of the tracks seems not the same everywhere.
    (Note: When you're cutting not deep enough it's is simple to adjust the bed in one corner a little bit and run the program again, in this case that was not neccesary)

I used a 0.2mm 30 degree carbide bit for all three stages (layout, holes, outside) because i'm still waiting for some other small bits to arrive by mail (just testing now really) Spindle speed about 20,000 rpm, feed rate 500 mm/min

I set the depth of cut to 0.2mm for the tracks, 0,4mm for drilling (i know, not really a suitable bit for drilling ;-)) and went 1.4mm deep for the outside making the edged peel off easilly.

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

Attached Files:

mybuild14 and Robert Hummel like this.
  23. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

Well done ! :thumbsup:

24. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Excellent work @winand :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

25. Mark Carew

Ditto Tweakie great job @winand :thumbsup:

26. mybuild14

mybuild14 New
    Builder

Great build and professional looking PCB. I was wondering if you would share your experiences and specifics on the drivers, control board and software you used? Thanks.

27. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

The control board is a chinese USBCNC 4-axis controller, as found on ebay for around 30 USD (search for 'usbcnc').
    The software comes with the board and after mailing back and forth with the seller I was able to get it running. (it was then that i found out they were supplying the software from planet-cnc.com controller which needed a serial key.. not legal at all :-( If i had known that i would have probably ordered the real deal on planet-cnc.com (also, you are not able to update the software, if you do it doesn't work anymore!)
    I use 3.5A TB6560 Stepper motor drivers for X, Y and Z-axis.
    At first i used just one controller for both Y axsis motors, but found out that i could not run them at full speed without troubles, so instead of splitting the wires from one driver to the motors, i have split the wires from the control board to 2 separate stepper drivers.
    The stepper drivers are about 10 USD each and bought on ebay (search for '1 axis 3.5A TB6560')

I think i'll still have to tinker a little bit with the motor drivers.
    For the X and Y axis i use 1/16 microstepping and 1/8 for the Z-axis (as is has already lots of gear reduction using the leadscrew)
    The current is currently limited at 1 amp, providing enough torc from the 80 oz.inch nema 17 motors while keeping the motors slightly warm. However, i experience a bit too much vibration when moving the Y axis slowly, don't think that using more amps will cure that (or a different microstepping rate), but i'll experiment a bit with that in the near future. (if anyone has tips about this, please comment)

#27 winand, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  28. mybuild14

mybuild14 New
    Builder

Thanks for info. It clears up some of the doubts that I have about the drivers and the dual drive setup. I am at the electronics stage of my build and have been trying to balance out cost, reliability, and function of the controller and drivers to use. Thanks for sharing.

29. winand

winand Well-Known
    Builder

Little update;
    Since the machine has to be "portable" (what's in the name), i made a little cart from scrap wood and 3 little swivel casters on which i can put the macine on upright and store it in a corner of the garage:

20140718_143016.jpg

The machine still lacks a decent dust shoe to connect to the shop vac, resulting in chips flying onto the Y rails. Hasn't caused any troubles yet but i have made two "rail skirts" to shield the rails from direct chips which works adequate, but is not perfect.
    I designed and made the skirts by looking at my sketchup design which turned out very nice, but i turns out that i loose 2cm of x axis travel again on each side :(.. Better solution still to come..

20140727_133319.jpg

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  30. RIDVAN ARIK

Builder

Hi Winand,
    I am from Turkey.Do you have a glass cuting machines projects.
    Thanks
    RIDVAN ARIK [email protected]