Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Y Axis ( Motor Spinning Around Threaded Rod)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Joshua Zanon, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Joshua Zanon

Builder

I had a problem with my Y-Axis and was wondering if anyone has encounter the same issue.

I bought my machine used so I unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to build it. While cutting the other day, the machines Y Axis started dragging on the one side. After looking into why this was happening, It seems like where the threaded rod and motor come together is not properly connected. I tried tightening it but that didn't seem to do anything. If I try to jog the machine around the motor and rod move but the Y axis itself only moves on the one side that is properly connected.

How should I go about resolving this issues, has anyone encountered this themselves before and would you have an idea as to why this would have happened?

Machine: Open Builds Leads 1010
    Router: Dewalt 611

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Replace broken shaft coupler: 1/4" x 8mm Flexible Coupling
    Add some loctite to the Grubscrews so they don't vibrate loose (old coupler either broke, or lost its grubscrews when they vibrated out without loctite)

3. Joshua Zanon

Builder

Thanks for your response Peter! I think the Grubscrews are still in the shaft coupler as I did try tightening them down... But that didn't seem to remedy the situation. The Shaft Coupler looked to be intact but I could be missing something.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

5. Joshua Zanon

Builder

Yeah, I may have to take that apart and see what is going on, I do not recognize those parts for the second suggestion.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Behind the plates, attached to the leadscrews, so yes, take it apart so you can see.

7. Coleman Martin

Builder

I'm having trouble with the flexible couplings letting loose of the lead screws on my C extrusion lead machine Y axis. Here is the coupling for reference. 5mm * 8mm Flexible Coupling Twice when I hit an obstruction while jogging the Y instead of skipping steps the set screws on the lead screws slipped. This caused me to need to back out the set screw and reset this screw. I'm, afraid if I do this again, I'll strip the tiny set screw.. Beyond the obvious (don't hit an obstruction) what can I do to make this more robust? Should I file a flat spot on the lead screw so the set screw can bite properly? Also is locktite used on this screw?

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Yes - use (non-permanent) loctite. Some people file a flat on the leadscrew and if that all fails you can drill and tap the coupler for 4 mm.
    Alex.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.