Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

XYZ Probe use on different corner than lower left

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Dale Stewart, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Dale Stewart

Builder

Is it possible to use the probe on a different corner than the lower left? I had small project recently that I switched my zero reference to the lower right corner. When I tried to use the probe, it reacted as though it was still on the lower left. Also, any way to change mm to inches on bit sizes?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can yes, create a Macro button with your custom probe sequence.

Other alternatives:
    - spin the artwork in CAM so bottom left is relative corner you actually wanted to use
    - or probe left, but set right using the Stock Offset option in the wizard under Advanced

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  3. Dale Stewart

Builder

Thanks for the answer. This whole CNC project has been an education. Off to school on the macro process next. The probe works great. I'm assuming that the same answer would apply if I wanted to use the probe in the center of my project or one of the upper corners? Would you recommend Gcode or Javascript for the macro? I'm not really familiar with either when in comes to writing the macro but I suspect Gcode would probably be easiest, based on my background.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The wizard makes provision under Advanced: You probe front-left - but it "sets zero" where you specify, based on the entered stock dimensions.

upload_2021-4-21_14-12-15.png

5. Dale Stewart

Builder

Thanks for the info. That resolved my question. A little bit of trial and error and I have it figure out. Good product.

sharmstr likes this.