Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

XYZ Automatic Probe Not Working

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by BSmith, Apr 14, 2021.

1. BSmith

BSmith New
    Builder

I tried the XYZ probe to just zero XYZ and not check the size of the endmill in my router (it was 1/4 inch). It worked fine. I then went to try the automatic routine that zeros XYZ and checks the endmill diameter. It went through and checked xyz fine. When it went to check the size of the endmill it went over the hole and then moved probably 1/4 inch or so over the plate and then smashed down on the plate (the green light lit up). I repeated this a few times and each time it did the same thing. Why is it not going in the hole? I start the procedure with the endmill roughly centered above the hole. After I had this issue I repeated the normal xyz probe routine and it checked Z, the green light lit and then it dragged the endmill across the plate not lifting it. It did this twice. I restarted my computer and the rebooted the black box and it started working again. Do you know what is causing this incorrect probing? I am afraid that over time I am going to break the probe or strain and damage the machine from the endmill hitting things during its probing cycle.

2. BSmith

BSmith New
    Builder

I am using the open builds xyz probe

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It needs good electrical contact: Magnet > collet > endmill > touchplate. If any of those surfaces are too dirty to allow good electrical contact you get failed probes

4. BSmith

BSmith New
    Builder

It’s all brand new. The green light lights every time. It’s a software problem. When the endmill hits the probe it always lights up.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Care to capture a video and paste the serial log?

6. BSmith

BSmith New
    Builder

Sure. How should I send you the video? I recorded one last night to attach to the post but it says error when I click upload. Thanks

7. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

I have occasionally had problems using the collet to put the magnet on (even though the green light did come on, note this was with an Xpro V4 which I replaced because I was having issues with the limit switch inputs). I put the magnet directly on the bit itself. I know, it has far less surface area, but it seems to work better for me. I also did have to replace the magnet (it fell out and I could never find it), so I replaced it with a rare earth one.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  8. Peter Van Der Walt

Post it as an unlisted youtube video and paste the link in your reply

9. BSmith

BSmith New
    Builder

I figured out the issue. I tried the probe right after I assembled my machine before doing any test cuts. After having the issues with the endmill incorrectly hitting the probe I just manually zeroed and hit the button in control to outline the cut area. The outline way overshot my work piece. I calibrated the movement on all the axis and found them to be 20% to high. The next day I went to record a video to upload with the probe I had no issues. I realized that the 20% over movement was causing the endmill to cross past the hole and be a 1/4 inch off and then it would drill down thinking it was over the hole.

I did select lead 1515 in open builds control so not sure how it was off by 20%. One other issue I found with the preconfigured settings in Control for the lead 1515 was that none of the limit switches were inverted and the max travel was set very short. I had to flip the limit switches on X and Y so it homed to the front left of the machine instead of the back right.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.