Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

xPRO V3 with DQ542MA drivers

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by fsfred, Jul 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fsfred

fsfred New
    Builder

Hi everyone

I start off by saying that i'm just an enthusiast without much knowledge of electronics and kind of got stuck.
    I'm using NEMA 23 High Torque Motors and they need external drivers (DQ542MA) because the integrated ones in the xPRO do not carry enough current.
    After a bit of research i found this post by Spark Concepts: Hooking Up External Drivers to the CNC xPRO V3

Thing is, I'm running dual motors on the X axis which for me wouldn't be a problem if only using the xPRO because i'd connect the cloned one to A and job done. How can I run that with the schematics provided by Spark with the external drivers? Can I not use more than 3 motors?

Again sorry if i'm being ignorant but i decided it would be best to ask who knows before I make a huge mess :)

Thank you!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Contest Winner! Builder

The limit is 3 Axes (X, Y and Z), but the motor count is up to you! You can choose to either wire two motors in parallel onto one DQ542MA (For an Axes that has dual motors) or you can wire 2x DQ542MAs and parallel the Signals (from the XPRO - for the axis that has dual motors) so both Drivers get the same step/dir/enable signals. Then each driver can run its own motor. Second option is the more efficient, but requires the purchase of 4x DQ542MAs. You can usually get away fine with the first option though

fsfred likes this.
  3. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

Did you already buy the xPro? Or are you in the research stage.

fsfred likes this.
  4. fsfred

fsfred New
    Builder

Thank you for the response! That's what I thought but was worried I would make a mess of it! I think I'll run 4 DQ542MAs to make it more efficient and stable given that I have a couple of them available to me already.

I kind of inherited an xPRO V3 from a friend of mine and was building around that and because he told me I could use any motors with it without the need for external drivers. Only realised I actually couldn't with the high torque ones when I had everything else put together already ;)

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Contest Winner! Builder

You can, for now. 2.5A is around 75% of max torque, which is still plenty! Go for it until you outgrow the torque you have, then add drivers :) (It works)