Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

XPro V2 vs LinuxCNC plus something build from bits off ebay

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Pops, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Hi All

I have started the mechanical build of an Ooznest OX CNC and getting to the point where I need to commit to my choice for a controller. Ideally I'd like to go down the LinuxCNC route but I am struggling to work out what controller setup to go for. The simple option would probably be to go for an XPro V2 and UGS but I like a bit of a challenge. I would be interested in your views and opinions and experience on this.

Thanks
    Ivan

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

What's your budget? :D

3. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

That's a good question. All in with power supply and controller, 200 GBP. Thanks, Ivan

4. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

5. Joe Santarsiero

We'll you're all set for a TinyG, xpro, or a shield. The question is how far do you want to go?:troll:
    Your only a few more pounds away from a G540, power supply, and motorcables. Download LinuxCNC and go. You need an lpt port interface though which could be an additional cost depending. Personally, even though I'm not a fan of the G540 I'd go that route in your shoes. Its much more capable than the above mentioned combination boards. It'll provide you with enough overhead for growth and the performance and support are proven just about to an absolute. It'll likely be the last thing to give you trouble and be there for you if decide to build bigger. Resale isn't bad either.

Just my 2c

Joe

6. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Thanks for your advice. I look into those options. The UK reseller for the g540 charges 325 pounds for it. Has anyone in the UK bought direct from gecko. I may go down that route. Another g540 question. I would need the 4th access to mirror the Y. Is that configurable in linuxcnc or would I have to do some fancy wiring to make that work?

Thanks
    Ivan

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

As for a source, you might check with Automation Technologies to see if they'll ship your direction. G540 with resistors / G540 without. (You should be able to find the resistors cheaper on your end.)

Stelios Malakoudis likes this.
  8. Joe Santarsiero

No fancy wiring. Slave it from the software.

9. Pops

Pops New
    Builder

Thanks everyone for your input. I ordered from the US a G540. Now to see if I can get my head round linuxcnc stepconf and how to slave the second y axis.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.