Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

xPro Controller Board Proximity Sensor

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Federico Giovine, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Federico Giovine

Builder

I am planning to build a laser cutter using a 100W CO2 laser and an xPro board. So far, it seems like it can control the laser's power with PWM no problem, but before I settle with that board I want to be able to see if it can support a proximity sensor. I want to integrate it so that I can have a z-axis so I can automatically and precisely focus the lens, and possibly change the focal distance if I have to do multiple cuts.

Does the board have any inputs for a sensor like that?

I saw some threads by mentioning laser diodes and a z-axis, but none of them mention a proximity sensor.

On the spark concepts store page for the board it mentions auto-focus, but in the documentation it's never mentioned.

Also, if you believe a better board is suited for the job let me know.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You could use the Z-Endstop input. It expects a digital signal (high or low) so if your sensor outputs appropriately (ie cannot support reading distance over I2c, SPI, Analog etc, only a HIGH/LOW) you can use that. Alternatively you can home the Z axis to a given min/max using the endstop, and then read the Proximity sensor as a Probe (See gnea/grbl for details)