Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X32 relays

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by gmhudson, Sep 7, 2023.

1. gmhudson

gmhudson New
    Builder

Hi. Does anyone know what the power rating is of the X32 relays?

What is the best way to operate 5v and 12V relays for 240V switching, and easiest to do from the control software interface? (an off the shelf IOT is not available to me).

thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The onboard relays are meant as dry contact DC signal switchers (Think along the lines of Plasma trigger, VFD direction, etc)

Do not switch mains (Not isolated)

3rd party relays - look for something with optoisolated 3.3v capable inputs.

Sadly discontinued, but PowerSwitch Tail Kit - COM-12920 - SparkFun Electronics was a good 240v option for a while

3. gmhudson

gmhudson New
    Builder

What about the best way to use these to switch 20V 1A (if you don’t advise to switch 240V) (one is 5V other 12V coil) ? Tia

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

They need an external PSU to power the coils, but at least some of those do have opto couplers. Blue one does not.

5. gmhudson

gmhudson New
    Builder

Can I not power them from the box?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

The point of adding the 3rd party stuff behind the optoisolator is defeated when you power the other side of the Opto+relay from the device you are trying to protect

7. gmhudson

gmhudson New
    Builder

I am seeking to turn a 20V 700mA DC light and a 5V fan on and off from the Control interface. Is there no easier way, using the onboard relays?

If not, they could be switched by relays on the DC line side, or on the AC side of the 240V transformers that provide this DC. But I can't find an off the peg IOT relay rated for 240V.

If I have to power the relay coils with a secondary power supply, then how do I switch that on and off? It become infinite loop, no? Unless the relays are permanently powered.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Please elaborate on the use case, as its not standard stuff, but:

Would it run off 24V? Coolant Output is convenient for that.

If you need to switch it on/off theres nothing onboard to do it easily, but needs nothing more than a simple NPN transistor to switch the low side off the logic signal.

[​IMG]

Neither of these needs mains switching. :) Pays to give us much info intially so we can answer properly :)

9. gmhudson

gmhudson New
    Builder

The Led has its own 20V 700mA constant current power supply, from a 240V transformer. I just want to switch that on and off from the tool control in the interface. Either by interrupting the DC line or 240V supply, don’t care which.

Either by my own 5V or 12V coil relay (I have both) signalled by the X32.

Or alternatively directly through the relays in the box (assuming not as 700mA is too much for them).

The fan similarly.

I dont need power to run the led or fan; just my relay coils, if I can’t use the onboard relays directly.

What I dont understand is the best output from the X32 box to signal the relays; and if there is a reliable 5v or 12v source to tap to run the coils.

I dont have access to an off the shelf 240V iot relay; just arduino type boards.

thx

10. Peter Van Der Walt

No, 24v output (coolant) and 3.3v logic signals on some of the other pins. It is a CNC controller after all... That is all documented on docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox-x32

Avoiding the use case question? , so I am still not happy to comment on relay use without information.
    (It's a Tool enable and Dir, so not seperate entirely, meant for specific use cases of Plasma and VFD. Relations between them means single commands controls both) - we love to help but extraction of info is something that saves neither of us time. Guessing, etc just frustrates everyone. Until clear details provided, i'll leave you in the good hands of the community to help you out. Good luck