Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Working with Solidworks

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by MechF, Nov 15, 2015.

1. MechF

MechF New
    Builder

Does anyone out there know how to mate the v-slot wheels into the v-slot rails in Solidworks
    ? I'm trying a Tangent mate but it's not working out. Please Help.

2. Lliam

Lliam New
    Builder

I have had luck using a tangent mate on an edge, as well as a coincident mate to a plane of face to keep things in line.

If you are having difficulty with this, (I recall it can be temperamental on rebuilds) you could add a sketch with some basic geometry to the wheels as well as the beam, which you could then use.

Alternatively, assemble your carriages as sub-assemblies and then use planes to mate the carriage to the beam. This proved the most reliable for me.

3. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Or try setting a width mate between the outside faces of the extrusion and the outside faces of the wheel, then a tangent mate between one of the wheels chamfers and the v-slot chamfer. You may have to do it in this order for it to work.

4. nate campbell

Builder

I believe that I used a tangent on one face and then mated the center line plane of the wheel with the line down the small groove in the beam

5. MechF

MechF New
    Builder

Thanks guys, I ended up getting out the heightgage and physically measuring the centerline / axis of the wheel to the top of the rail and outside face in comparison to the side of the rail and setting the offsets. This allows linear movement. (Cheating really) Thanks for all your imput.