Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Workbee (with Black Box) Inexplicably Stopping mid part

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DaveySLP, Jul 26, 2021.

1. DaveySLP

DaveySLP New
    Builder

Thought I would post here in case anyone else has had similar problems. I've been using a workbee on a specific part (machine is used as a production machine with Black Box Controller) with no problems up until recently. What's happening is that the machine is just stopping midway through a part I've been making many times before without issues. It simply stops mid code, so it could be part way through a simple move on the part for example. And it's not at a specific part of the code, sometimes I get 70% through the part, sometimes 10% and all places in between. The first number of times this happened I simply pressed pause and then play and it would continue. But after a handful of times doing that it would stop again and wouldn't let me even press play to go again. The last two times this stopping happened it seem to disconnect itself from the Black Box computer???? I have attached a screen shot of the error that seems to come up. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it as my work is stuck until I can get this sorted! Thanks so much in advance...

- David :)

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. DaveySLP

DaveySLP New
    Builder

Thank you for your response, after a little trouble shooting in my workspace that does indeed seem to be the problem. It seems a new sander that I've been running nearby, as it's running, was the culprit. Tried without and no problem. Is funny, I always thought USB cables were pretty shielded, guess not! Anyway, thanks for confirming, much appreciated :)

Alex Chambers likes this.
  4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Unless its a shielded usb cable they are very susceptible - because the signal levels are so low any interference is significant. Even shielded usb cables are not completely immune. Glad you found the source - always better to eliminate that than try to protect the cables that are acting as receivers.
    Alex.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Emi can get into your pc many ways. As an example : Thin mouse cable, and a shielded usb to BlackBox both plugged into same PC. Guess which one acts as an antenna channeling the EMI into the motherboard? Yip, not the BlackBox one, something else can be the "antenna" that brings the EMI into the system too. Power cables, etc too

6. DaveySLP

DaveySLP New
    Builder

Thanks Alex and Peter. Yes, I plan to get a bunch of ferrite cores to minimize on all cables going to the pc and the black box, including for the power supply to the laptop. Hopefully this should mitigate most of it!