Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ryan Lock, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Ryan Lock published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. JamieMcC

JamieMcC New
    Builder

Hi Ryan

Best wishes for the new WorkBee and hope the TCT show is a huge success for you. If I lived a bit closer I would drop in and say hi at the show. In the meantime I am very much looking forward to putting together my WorkBee kit it looked perfect for my needs.

Cheers
    Jamie

Ryan Lock likes this.
  3. Bjorn Mikkelsen

Builder

Looks great, can you create a parts list for people who has the OX if they wanted to upgrade to WorkBee ?

4. Yellers

Yellers New
    Builder

Excellent work Ryan, looks great. I'll be in touch in the coming weeks for a pre-order.

5. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

I have a 1500 x 1000 ox but am looking to downsize a little to a 1000 x 1000 workbee so would be interested in a parts list for the conversion.

Alternatively i may just sell the 1500x1000 and buy a new kit :)

Ryan Lock likes this.
  6. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

Yup we do have a conversion parts list. I am currently on a trip, but will get it sorted when i am back to normal.

7. Bjorn Mikkelsen

Builder

Have a nice trip, and we are looking forward to the conversion list :)

Ryan Lock likes this.
  8. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

Sorry for taking a while, list of tasks is endless at the moment. I have updated the zip file with a new spreadsheet which will auto adjust the parts list and rail sizes depending on what size of machine you enter. Also included in the spreadsheet is an OX to WorkBee conversion sheet for the both the belt and screw version of the WorkBee (Note this is based on our OX Kit parts list, not Marks original).

Also the manuals in their current state are now in there. The belt drive manual is basically complete apart from grammar errors. The screw driven manual is complete to a point where you could build the machine, but still needs some tidying.

Enjoy - Ryan

9. Bjorn Mikkelsen

Builder

Is it just me or does the link in the first post not work any more?

10. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It's not just you. There was a server migration over the weekend and links that reference openbuilds.org may no longer find their way home. But not to worry, the build tab just above the link takes you to the same place.

MaryD likes this.
  11. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

Is 1000mm the real limit on the Y?

Reason for the question is i need to be able to cut 1000mm so would need 1200 to ensure enough.

And i really want to go leadscrew.

Currently got a 1000 x 1500 belt Ooznest Ox and it does me proud with my arcade building business but want a more robust C Beam based machine.

So in effect I'd need a conversion kit to convert from 1000 x 1500 Belt ox to a 1000 x 1200 leadscrew WorkBee - Can it be done.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Fixed!

13. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

@Chillimonster I am afraid from us yes, we only stock the screws for a 1000mm wide machine. You may be able to get longer screws from other sites, but we won't stock them as they will whip.

14. Chillimonster

Chillimonster Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the prompt reply Ryan.

I have seen 12mm leadscres with matching endplates on another site, hence the questioning, but am unsure as to clearance in the C Beam.

OK so on to the next question.

If i was to get the conversion kit would it be possible to have the sides cut to a shorter length (Say 1250) and go with belts and then if i feel like biting the buttlet i could look at sourcing a larger leadscrew and fittings etc.

15. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

Ok, yes that is fine, we can do you a custom length. Send us email and we can sort it out.

Ryan

16. Yellers

Yellers New
    Builder

Pre-order just placed Ryan, just in time for the 10% off :D Very excited about this...

Ryan Lock likes this.
  17. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

@Yellers Sounds good :) We will get it shipped out as quick as we can!

Yellers likes this.
  18. Graeme Dingwaall

Builder

I pre ordered one yesterday. Looking forward to starting my first project over the next few months.
    Excited to see if I can get it making me some cash once it's up and running.

Ryan Lock likes this.
  19. Yellers

Yellers New
    Builder

I'm in the same boat Graeme, kinda promised the better half I would make the money back quickly ;)

Ryan Lock likes this.
  20. Graeme Dingwaall

Builder

Yeah bit of a punt on my side tbh, But I'm confident I can build it and get it working as it should be.
    I'm into sign making so should be a great help for that :)

What are you hoping to do with it?

Ryan Lock likes this.
  21. Yellers

Yellers New
    Builder

Oh a complete punt but you'll never know until you try.

I actually have a load of ideas, I am learning Fusion360 in anticipation (this is my first CNC) so I have a number of projects lined up from coasters to signs to clocks to a nespresso pod holder.

Having said that, my main goal is to create topographic maps. Not the lasered layered ones but proportionate relief maps of countries/regions.

22. Graeme Dingwaall

Builder

Yeah my first CNC as well think there will be a steep learning curve. Haha

sounds like you have some cool ideas tho.

I think I'm going to use sketch up and sketchucam then universal g code sender but I'll see what happens.

Yellers and Ryan Lock like this.
  23. Cncpro

Cncpro New
    Builder Resident Builder

First, congratulations on the attractive build of the WorkBee.

Second, I really appreciate your generosity of sharing all the hard work in designing and building with us to allow us to build and enjoy the machine.

I'm a newbie when it comes to building a CNC but I've been following a lot of CNC/3D design/builds for over 3 years now. It's about time for me to finally start building one.

To be honest with you I was considering building a C-beam XL until I saw the WorkBee. So now I'm between the two! Can you kindly explain to me what is the advantage the WorkBee has over the C-beam?
    I really like the idea of the dual drive system. It's just brilliant!

#23 Cncpro, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  24. Yellers

Yellers New
    Builder

Great stuff Graeme, by the sounds of it we are both relatively new and will be building our machines at similar times. Iv'e quite a lot of general woodworking projects in the pipeline but I might have to put the design of the bench holding the Work Bee at the top of the list. My setup is in my house so I will be making an enclosure to "sound proof" it as much as humanly possible (also have a newborn in said house!)

25. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi,

The manuals for both the mechanical belt and screw are fully complete and are now in the zip file. The final manual for the full kit version will be in there soon.

Ryan

Cncpro and Yellers like this.
  26. Graeme Dingwaall

Builder

Yeah sound like we are in the same boat yellers. I won't have my machine in the house, but it will be in the garage and I was also thinking of building a soundproof enclosure. I was going to try and knock a design up in sketchup but not had a chance yet. Lol

Also thinking of using a old hoover so might need to muffle that as well but one step at a time.

27. Cncpro

Cncpro New
    Builder Resident Builder

20171107_143747.jpg
    Just finished reading your new screw manual. Let me tell you it's a really well put together manual. I enjoyed reading and absorbing all the useful information in it.

I noticed that you included the 1000x1500mm and the 1500x1500mm machine size under the screw manual with a two methods to support the spoiler board. But in order to build this we still need to get a bigger screw (i.e 1/2"-10 five start) or something else, right?

I have few questions for you in regard building one of your machine:
    Would you consider selling your plates set? I know that you have their drawing attached in the zip file but I don't have a CNC to machine them.

Would your spreadsheet auto adjust the parts list and rail sizes including the spoiler board support parts if the size was over 1000mm?

For section 3.6.3 Spoiler board support bracket step D.
    "If you have a machine with 1500mm X-Axis repeat step A,B & C 3 times" (is that mean an additional 3 more V-Slot-2080. A total of 4 V-Slot-2080 with this setting)?

Thank you for all your hard work and your generosity to share it with us.

28. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

@Cncpro Thanks for pointing that out, i will that removed from the screw manual.

We will be selling the plates individually, in the near future, at the moment i am concentrating fully on completing the manuals, so haven't got around to putting them up on the site.

I believe the excel will auto adjust for bigger sizes than 1000mm.

Yes that is correct, with a 1500mm belt drive they are included.

29. Leonard M

Leonard M New
    Builder

Received shipping notification this morning. Happy Day!!

Question for the group: Actual cutting area for a 1000 x 1500 X-lead Y-belt machine?

Thanks!

Leonard

Yellers likes this.
  30. michielproce

Builder