Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee CNC 1500x1500mm - Setup Help required.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Camvec, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Camvec

Camvec New
    Builder

Hello you wonderful people. So today was a great day, I've finally finished building my new WorkBee, I'm a total newbie to be honest and I'm on a very steep learning curve.

So I'm using UGS, got it all set up as per the instructions, changes the $code settings too! And all jog controls work as they should.

I press $H and it goes to all 3 limit switches and backs of 3mm. - great! So next I place it roughly centred on x/y set home zero point then I move it away and I can return to to home. Superb,

MY QUESTION IS..... When I move the Y down to the bottom or X to the left it hits the plates. What have I done wrong? Should it just stop just before it hits the plates? I've set the correct $code on lines 131 & 132 (maximum travel) -200mm and -230mm less than my CNC size respectively as described in the manual. But still it wants to hit the sides.

Can I just increase the 131/132 figure temporarily to see if it will not hit the side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can get going with my machine, thanks folks look forward to hearing your replies cheers Camvec (Scotland)

2. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

Hi Cameron,

What are your 'Soft' and 'Hard' limits set to ? $20 may need to be set to '=1' if it's OFF ( =0 ). I may be wrong, but I think the 'Soft Limit' is a safeguard for the maximum travel set.
    This may help > gnea/grbl

Let us know if this worked mate, as I'm still learning this stuff as well.

TURK

3. Vincent Walsarie

Builder

Is it working correctly already?
    I’ve had the same thing, could it be that your limitswitches aren’t at the very end of the v slot beams?
    Otherwise I’d set $131&132 to say 500 and make sure it stops there..

Still learning also... :)

4. Vincent Walsarie

Builder

What I’m facing with is the opposite, i get soft limit warnings of a 500x500 square on a 1000x1000 workbee

Also my leadscrews are noisy video attached..

#4 Vincent Walsarie, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  5. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I think, as far as a set-ups go, you've got a pretty quiet one there. There is a little resonance causing vibration, but other than that, I can't really hear a problem. :)

6. halfshavedyaks

halfshavedyaks Well-Known
    Builder

really? is that really normal for the screw to get much louder for a bit partway through its travel? I haven't got a workbee yet, but If I heard that I'd be suspecting alignment issues or a bent screw.