Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

workbee and OX

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by lexi chambers, Dec 5, 2018.

1. lexi chambers

lexi chambers Well-Known
    Builder

hi all can someone tell me whats the difference between the workbee and the OX ? many thanks

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

I'd say "about £200" but I'm guessing that's not the answer you are looking for. As you're probably comparing the Ooznest offerings, the simplest answer is that the Workbee is a fair amount stouter than the Ooznest version* of the Ox. The difference is mainly evolutionary as the main framing members in the Workbee didn't exist at the time the Ox was developed.

Beyond being stouter, the other difference is that the Ox is only available in belt drive and the Workbee is available in both belt and screw drive. And to answer the question you haven't asked yet of which drive system is better, it depends on what you intend to use it for. Screws offer more driving power and better resolution and belts offer better speed. Screws are better for cutting aluminum where resolution and power matter and belts are better for cutting acrylic where speed is more important. Wood doesn't really care either way.

The only other real issue is the strength/stiffness of the gantry beam. If you're planning to use a trim router or larger you're probably better off with the Workbee as the gantry beam supports the weight better. The main key here though is determining what you intend to use the system for and that will help lead you to which type of system is most appropriate.

3. lexi chambers

lexi chambers Well-Known
    Builder

thanks for the info Rick really appreciate it :)