Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Win a MiniMill or other awesome prizes

Discussion in '* CONTESTS * Win Cool Stuff!' started by MaryD, Oct 3, 2017.

?

OpenBuilds MiniMill Video Contest

Poll closed Nov 17, 2017.
  1. Entry 1 - Class of 2018

499 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Entry 2 - Hugh the Aussie Maker

6 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Entry 3 - Maniac Bunny

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  4. Entry 4 - Mini Shop

22 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Entry 5 - Greenlab Microfactory

178 vote(s)
    19.9%
  6. Entry 6 - Model Airline Maker

24 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Entry 7 - Cherry Pi Team

74 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Entry 8 - Lunch Hour Maker

7 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. Entry 9 - MakerHive

39 vote(s)
    4.4%
  10. Entry 10 - LifEnabled

44 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

**THE POLLS ARE OPEN**
    WATCH & VOTE

NOTE - Must be Logged in or Sign up to Vote

OpenBuilds MiniMill Video Contest
    THE FINALISTS

entry 1_v1 (Custom)_v1.png entry 4_v1 (Custom)_v1.png entry 12_v1 (Custom)_v1.png entry 10_v1 (Custom)_v1.png finalist_5_v2.png entry 21_v1 (Custom)_v2.png entry 16_v1 (Custom)_v2.png entry 11_v2 (Custom)_v2.png entry 15_v1 (Custom)_v1.png entry 2_v1 (Custom)_v1.png

YOUR VOTE COUNTS

POLLS OPEN THROUGH Friday November 17 @ Noon Eastern Time

Grand Prize: 1 fully assembled OpenBuilds MiniMill*

Finalists (9):
    $50 OpenBuilds Part Store Gift Certificate

CONTEST DETAILS

Get your craziest friends, students, hacker space group together or go wild yourself and have a great time with the video. Appeal to the OpenBuilds Community and let them know why YOU should win the OpenBuilds MiniMill. How will you use your new MiniMill? Starting a business? Expanding your workshop? Creativity counts!

How it Works

Create a video telling us why you want to win an OpenBuilds MiniMill, Submit your video to your YouTube channel, post a link here, we pick up to 10 finalists and the OpenBuilds Community will have the opportunity to vote for the Grand Prize winner.

Video deadline is October 31 @ Noon Eastern

How to Enter

Please keep your video under 90 seconds long. 1 submission per person. Please see rules for additional details.

Link from YouTube
    a. Upload your video to your personal YouTube account. (Be sure video lets us know why you want an OpenBuilds MiniMill)

b. Post the URL of your YouTube video to this contest thread.

*Free Shipping within Continental United States. Other destinations responsible for shipping/taxes/fees.

Many thanks to our sponsor
    OpenbuildsSTORE_logo_Header_Small1.png

#1 MaryD, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. John Rausch

Builder

Contest Rules Question: Can a team of people only submit one video or can each individual submit a video?

3. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Duplicates of the same video will be removed. The community will be voting on the finalists and each video should be different. Please submit 1 unique video per YouTube account. Wish you the best of luck!

#3 MaryD, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Create a video telling us why you want to win an OpenBuilds MiniMill, Submit your video to your YouTube channel, post a link here, we pick up to 10 finalists and the OpenBuilds Community will have the opportunity to vote for the Grand Prize winner.

Peter Wilkens likes this.
  5. Charles D Schultz

Builder

When do entry's have to be submitted?

6. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Video Submission Deadline is October 31 @ 12 Noon Eastern.

7. Kevin Kuehn

Builder

We're super excited about this competition, and the opportunity to get a CNC to be able to play with and learn about. Thanks for watching!

"We would love to get a MiniMill so that we can easily prototype parts for different projects in-house and teach others about how to use CNC's.

I (Kevin) have been slowly growing my home workshop over the last two years with new machine tools like my Craftsman/atlas manual lathe, but I don't have the space to buy a full-size milling machine. I need a small machine like the MiniMill to be able to do milling operations that I just can't do on my lathe. I am very interested in CNC and recently bought a 3D printer with the money I earned working last summer to be able to learn more about the process."

8. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Awesome. Thanks for entering!

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Awesome video! You guys are the example of what we have in mind for this! Well done!

Everyone else: THIS - this is what you need to shoot and upload ^^^

10. Brintrot

Brintrot New
    Builder

Here is my video. We have a nonprofit organization that makes prostheses for the developing world. We have been working on a Delrin prosthetic knee joint and I think we are very close to the final prototype. We have been searching for ways to inexpensively make the knee joint and the MiniMill seems to fit the bill.

11. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

@Brintrot Is there a way for anyone to get more information on your organization?

12. Brintrot

Brintrot New
    Builder

Hello Mary,

LifEnabled.org is our website. My email is [email protected].

Thank your for reaching out! I should have put that info in the description.

All the best,

Brent

MaryD likes this.
  13. 3D BEN

3D BEN New
    Builder

Hi @ All,

take a look to my gang and me ;)!

Cheers
    Ben

Mildway65, Mark Carew and MaryD like this.
  14. HughE

HughE New
    Builder

Hi my name's Hugh and I run a small 3D sign making business

I have been using hand tools to manually cut MDF and plywood mostly for house numbering. I have been looking into milling machines to mill aluminium and wood and make it easier to design and automate the creation the signs. The mini mill looks like the perfect option for its portability and size so it can fit neatly in the back of a car or in my rather small garage. I’m super excited about the prospect of playing with and learning about Milling and teaching others how to use it.

Thanks for running this competition OpenBuilds

Best Regards

Hugh

Mark Carew and MaryD like this.
  15. Joren Miner

Builder

I am working with Charity Anywhere to design and provide a CNC machine for Innovación Ortopedica, a charity-based prosthesis lab in the Dominican Republic. I volunteered to help them out while I was there with my family to build a deaf-school, separate from Innovación. Our hosts while there mentioned Innovación, and I quickly got involved to fix the machine they were donated. However, the manufacturer was very uncooperative, and requested a payment of $19,000 for the software license and the tools to calibrate the machine. Because of that, I decided to design and build Innovación a 4-axis CNC Carver/mill. Many of the parts needed are to be milled, which can be very costly. This machine will help Innovación get the machinery they need.

Once the main CNC machine is done, I will also give them the MiniMill for milling smaller pieces of the prosthetics, and train them on how to use it.

For any other information about this project, please email me at [email protected].

Thank you for your consideration!
    Joren Miner

16. MidnightQuads

Builder

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9nfWWVZ0W8EHere is my video. It's a little short, but I didn't have much to say. I would love to expand my shop with more cool tools ( I mean toys). I would cut micro multirotor frames on the mill, and might, in the future, expand the minimill to a larger one. Anyways, it was a fun thing to do, and thanks to Openbuilds for the contest!

17. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

Here is my contest entry. "Why?" you may ask. Well, I miss the little guy....

[BTW, the "Build" of my MMXL is coming very soon.]

Mark Carew, CiaraB and MaryD like this.
  18. nicksimp08

Builder

Hi Guys,

Thanks for running this awesome competition, please find my entry below:

Thanks,
    Nick

19. Ethan Stevenson

Builder

Here's our entire for the MiniMill

TylerN, Mark Carew, CiaraB and 2 others like this.
  20. jhitesma

jhitesma New
    Builder

Love OpenBuilds and would love to be a part of the community here. So here's my entry about why my mini shop would be a great home for a MiniMill!

21. Gabriele Perugini

Builder

Hi guy! this is my video for contest!

22. Wombaticus

Builder

Trying again!

CiaraB, Mark Carew and MaryD like this.
  23. Wombaticus

Builder

woohoo, got it!

24. Ethan Stevenson

Builder

Sorry, meant to say OUR entire
    EDIT: fixed above in your post
    Mark

CiaraB and Wombaticus like this.
  25. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Just want to say these entries are awesome and we are really enjoying them. Wishing you all the best of luck in the contest:thumbsup:

26. Ethan Stevenson

Builder

Thanks

27. Raghav Srivastava

Builder

First... the video:

Ok.. now hello fellow makers of Open Builds. I have a maker project of epic proportions on my hands... My sister's wedding! Now, you may or may not have noticed, but I am Indian, and so is my sister. That means BIG wedding.. with MANY things to make. Now this is the kind of thing that brings families to the brink... but I think with your help, we stand a chance.. lol. I am truly excited about making an awesome contribution to my sister's impending nuptials. And this would go a long way to make the whole event spectactular. I am talking custom cut invitations, custom decorations out of sandalwood(have you ever smelled sandalwood? MMMM), custom gifts for the guests that attend, and an awesome gift for the soon-to-be newlyweds. Whats the gift? I aint going to tell anyone online!!.

I was serious when I said that I want to give my sister the things that money cannot buy. I think that ultimately has the most meaning, and if you are on THIS site, i'm sure most of you agree! As I said before, vote for me and HELP A BROTHER OUT!!

Mark Carew, MaryD and Wombaticus like this.
  28. Mildway65

Mildway65 New
    Builder

Here is my contest entry.
    I hope you like it.

CiaraB, Mark Carew and MaryD like this.
  29. BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker Well-Known
    Builder

Hello everyone!

Great contest.

This entry is from the The MakerHive. In case you are not familiar,

The MakerHive is a group of interesting people creating interesting projects in electronics, 3D printing, quad copters, rocketry, and Developing UV stereo lithographic resins for use in jewelry casting, Robotics, Arduino, Rasp-Pi, and more! MakerHive members may be working on epic year-long projects destined for Kickstarter or just upgrading their toaster oven for SMT re-flows. Any given meeting will involve someone building/modding/upgrading their 3D printer, laying out a PCB (including friendly discussions on Eagle vs KiCAD vs Altium), burning up and replacing ESCs on a quadcopter, designing mechanical parts (including passive-aggressive discussions over the merits of OpenSCAD vs DesignSpark Mechanical vs Autodesk Inventor vs OnShape) and poking around old electronics reminiscing about the days when everything was thru-hole. Anyone with an Entrepreneurial, Artistic, Inventive or Creative mindset is encouraged to visit us on Thursday nights and at our events throughout the year. Join the forums to connect with us on any topic, anytime. Join us in person in Elkhart to learn something, teach something and Build something.

Learn more, www.themakerhive.com

This type of equipment is just what we need for our members to learn, grow, and Make!
    A CNC mini mill would benefit everyone currently in the group and into the future.

Here is our entry for the Contest, enjoy!

Hilla, sgraber, Mark Carew and 4 others like this.
  30. Jonahj6

Jonahj6 New
    Builder

Hi I am jonah from FTC robotics team cherry pi! Enjoy

MaryD likes this.