Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Will Arduino Uno R3 run 6 stepper motors?

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by ArnMan, Nov 18, 2021.

1. ArnMan

ArnMan New
    Builder

Hello,
    I am working on a project, that will involve 6 stepper motors. Probably be running at the same time.
    I have a Arduino and 6 easydrivers. I am currently wiring everything together on the board. I was told that the Arduino can handle 6 motors, but from all the schematics I have seen, people are using the Digital pinouts. I have 3 easy drivers soldered in place, with the step and direction wires, wired to d2-d7. I think the other 3 motors would wire to the other d8-d12 pins.
    Will the Arduino be able to run all 6 each with varying speeds, steps, and directions? I am a Arduino Noob, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

See AccelStepper: AccelStepper library for Arduino

You can use analog pins as digital outputs too. Each driver has a step+dir = 12 pins. Enable can either be hardwired or shared to 1 pin

3. ArnMan

ArnMan New
    Builder

Wow thank you for responding so quickly. Im taking my time on the wiring. I'll check out your link too. I have a ambitious project that once finished, hopefully actually does something. Im just proud of the stuff I have done already.
    Thank you again. I wasnt sure about the analog part of it, but that may give me some ideas later on, to help add more to what I have now.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

There are higher pin count boards too. From the basic Arduino Mega, ESP32, more modern Arduinos etc