Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Why 3-wheel carriage?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Rado Korpa, Apr 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rado Korpa

Builder

Most cheap printer builds use 3 wheels carriage and while it is probably working, I am not sure it is right solution.
    My POV: when one excentric wheel is adjusted force caused little deflection is doubled compared to opposite two wheels. It will lead to faster wearing of single wheel and will probably lead to little shift carriage to one side.
    My two printers experience that and I tried to overcome it somehow. Now I am building another one and would like you to confront my worries....or feed them :)

What you think about it ? shouldn't carriage have "symmetric" design?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You'll notice all the official openbuilds designs and plates have symmetic wheels (; - betting that's for a good reason

Even if it "works" with 3 wheels, symmetrical just "feels" better right?

3. Rado Korpa

Builder

Exactly! I already noticed that and tried to gather some information about design and didn't found anything. So can I expect that 3weels carriage is only result of cutting corners (and costs)?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Very likely yes. Especially on a thin carriage, the extra distance (long sides of the triangle) will result in the plate bending a little. Where-as wheels opposite each other is the shortest distance possible too

Rado Korpa likes this.