Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Which vacuum cleaner? Cutting foam...

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by James Beckett, Jun 12, 2018.

1. James Beckett

Builder

Hi all, first post,

Assembling a 1500 x 1500 CNC and designing the vacuum system. Many considerations, perhaps there's some help? I will be running long jobs in medium density foam (200), which has many implications, perhaps best expressed here as a list:

1) waste: considering a vertical shop vac due to handy plastic bags, not sure a cyclone dust collector would make much difference due to material weight and static?

2) power consumption: would be great to regulate to keep to minimum required during long jobs. Machine also has to be able to run for days!! Considering variac on vacuum, to reduce suction to requirement, hence save on elect. consumption.

3) toxicity: not sure if foam will produce any kind of toxic fumes, and if a HEPA would help against this, or if a HEPA is at all necessary due to fine dust?

4) Sound proof: I will build a booth for both CNC and vacuum. Vacuum will have ventilation, but realising now that CNC booth will need airflow (current design is making it airtight - duh). Hoping to fit vacuum under CNC table, as it is already using much space in domestic environment, but vacs tend to be vertical and use much space. (160 cm high, so a horizontal version would be magic). Considering flipping the vac on its side!! Wonder if it will still work, as doubt gravity plays much of a role when it comes to foam.

I am looking at a 550 watt vacuum, with a 100mm pipe, but will need to be reduced to fit the dust-shoe ordered at around 64mm.

Any links, advice appreciated, apologies if there is an extent of cross-posting.
    (all brand names removed due to spam filter)

Greetings James

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi James. Welcome. Glad you managed to get here in the end. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    You don't say what Router, or Spindle, you are using, but generally speaking the vacuum is the noisiest thing in the workshop.
    I know I've got to soundproof my vac to keep the neighbours happy. The lucky thing is that the vacuum, (or suck), you have at the unit's end, as long as there are no leaks, is the same at the other end. To that point, I'm going to put my vac way at the other end of my workshop, and pipe it to my CNC. I have considered, seeing as how my vac has a suck and blow outlet, I might use the blower one side of the cutter, and the suck at the opposite side, maybe with a duck mouth receiver. The only problem I see there is that the air gets hotter as the longer the vac runs, and recycling the heat may cause a runaway effect. Could run it through some sort of cooler I guess. Anyway that is for the future. :)
    Don't know what might happen if you turn the vac on the side. I guess as long as the inlet to the waste bin is on top, maybe not a lot can go wrong, but never tried myself. See if YouTube has anything. :rolleyes:
    So, how about some photos of your CNC. We are a nosy bunch here. :D:D
    Gray

James Beckett likes this.
  3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Consumer grade vacuums are not designed to be run endlessly. They don't cool well and certainly won't cool well if put in a soundproof box. The cheap brushed motors they're built around also have a limited lifespan. You need to be looking at commercial grade dust collection. As you don't need quite the level of suction as typical wood shop system you may be able to get away with a lower speed system which should be quieter. Another key is focusing on the dust capture at the tool end. If you can create a clearly defined and minimalist containment area at the bit you won't need to pull as much air.

James Beckett and MaryD like this.
  4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

James Beckett likes this.
  5. James Beckett

Builder

Thanks for response and curiosity:
    I am unable to put all brand names into post (earlier posts refused due to supposed promotional nature).
    So I am posting here as pictures of the ones filter is not allowing (only vacuum):

CNC is Workbee 1500 x 1500 from Ooznest, still assembling, so building table to accommodate means I directly need to order materials for sound booths.
    Spindle: Makita RT0700C
    Proposed vacuum: see pic (with a variac to reduce consumption, plastic bags important for cheap large waste)

@GrayUK - thanks for getting me started, distance is a good factor, means I could use existing cupboard to kill the sound!
    @Rick.2.0 - any idea of typical wood shop systems with lower speed?
    @jeffmorris - thanks, I saw this post earlier, but the FEIN has no volume, as I will work with foam i expect this to be significant.

If you are all interested, the project is looking at the reproduction of architecture. I will 2,5d cut foam, and overprint with photos. Idea is to attempt a realism at an affordable price, for museum display, full scale. Input is photogrammetry. A few photos attached here too...

Attached Files:

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You're on the right track with the dust collection system shown but as far as which brand or model is quietest, you'll need to do the research there. I have no idea what's available in your area. Sound on such a unit can easily be reduced with sound reducing materials lining a vertical cabinet leaving properly baffled air openings at the top and bottom for unit ventilation.

As far as what you intend to use this system for, that's pretty cool and we hope to see more of what you come up with.

7. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Oh wow! Your future plans look great. :jawdrop: Once upon a time, I used to restore buildings, monuments and follies, and I'm sure that if we had had something like you are going to produce, we could have shown the client just what the finished textures and looks would be, and thereby closed many a deal. :)
    So, when you're up and running, make sure you send samples and explanations of what you can do, to any and all Restoration Companies you can find. :D
    CNC is great for those "niche" products!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Keep us up to date with your build.
    Gray

8. James Beckett

Builder

Thanks all, I will go ahead with the build and make some pics. Will take some time o_O,,:D
    Looking at medium to low density foam with MDF for CNC muffle, and high density for vacuum. I will build baffled air openings with low density, and put some fans in there to make sure there is good airflow. More to follow!!

GrayUK likes this.