Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Which router spindle?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Wylie, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Wylie

Wylie New
    Builder

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone help decide on which router spindle works best on a CNC build.
    I'm not sure which make and model router would work best on any CNC router build, can anyone who as already done a build recommend one.
    As anyone found a router that as a ER type collet, or as anyone made the conversion of there router to use the ER type collet.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Steve

2. EvanBruner

EvanBruner Veteran
    Builder

If you don't want to cut aluminum at deep cuts, you don't really need anything above a .8kw(mayyybbe a 1.5kw) spindle or 1-.25 hp routers. Especially when cutting aluminum, you're machine will deflect like crazy before you get clost to maxing out your spindle power.

It is possible to adapt a router to an ER collet system, but it can be prohibitivly expensive for a low runout solution. You can get a cheap chinese adapter that has a 1/2" shank on it for about $30 but I wouldn't expect it to have less than at least a thou of runout. Add in the runout of the 1/2" collet you'll need to use it and you've got a bad solution. I would ask ymilord how his worked out, his build can be found by searching 'the hog'. PreciseBits sells an ER20 adapter that has virtually no runout but it costs over $250 dollars.

My suggestion for anyone without a very rigid machine and a low budget is the Makita RT0701C because it is absolutely tiny, has a much wider rpm range than popular choices like the Dewalt 611 and still has the same 1.25 hp power rating as its bigger competition. Get 3 precision collets from either Elaire or Precisebits in the sizes you will most likely use and stick with those sizes. This is going to be the best option for the least amount of money in my opinion. I bought a Hitachi M12vc because of it's low noise and low RPM rating, but if I could rebuy I would go with the Makita.

If you can afford a nicer machine and have the rigidity to support a heftier spindle, get a watercooled spindle with a VFD in the biggest size you can supply the power for. The difference in price between the different power rating is almost negligible. The limiting factor in which spindle you can go for is the weight of the spindle and what kind of power you can supply to it. If you're on 110v, you can really only get a 1.5kw spindle, I would kill to have the 2.2kw spindle but as I'm in an apartment garage (that I don't think im supposed to be machining in) and can't wire in 220v I won't be able to run it without tripping the breaker. Being able to run a 1/2 shank fly cutter at 500 rpm would be amazing for surfacing aluminum.

I've probably thrown a ton of info at you, but it's hard to give a good recommendation without knowing what your expectations from the machine are. Let me know if you have any questions

3. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

I love my Makita! It is so quiet. I have it turned down as low as it will go while cutting wood and it just hums. Now if only the shopvac wasn't so noisy. The only bad part was that I had no 3d printer to make a mount so I had to order a Chinese 65mm mount. But, it is nice and square and was the exact width of my custom x-gantry plate (lucky me). I got this one 12-20 dayts free shipping) and it actually got to me within the 12 days, but I am on the west coast, so that may have helped. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/65mm-clamps-Spindle-Clamp-Electric-Motor-Mount-Bracket-Cast-[​IMG] Aluminium-For-CNC-Engraving-Machine-LG078/32617763908.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.88.LngF1F

4. Giarc

Giarc Master
    Builder

Oh, and I bought the Elaire collet set, too. They seem to work very well. Elaire Corporation

5. Wylie

Wylie New
    Builder

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the helpful comments on spindle types.
    I would love to be able to cut aluminum at times, but think I will mainly be cutting wood and maybe plastic.
    Thanks again.
    Steve

6. EvanBruner

EvanBruner Veteran
    Builder

You'll be fine with a .8kw spindle but the 1.5kw spindle is only a little more expensive and can hold a 3/8" bit. Any 1.25 hp router will do well too.