Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Which leadscrew lubricant to use?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by evalon, Aug 3, 2018.

1. evalon

evalon New
    Builder

Hi again,

I am about to complete my CNC build (WorkBee) and to this end have been considering which lubricant to use on the leadscrews ...

Since I will be milling both aluminum, copper etc., and wood, I reckon it would be feasible with a "dry" lubricant - e.g. graphite or PTFE based. Personally I would prefer a graphite based lubricant since - although not large amounts will be used - it will have virtually no environmental impact. Have people here any experience with graphite (or the like) based dry lubes for the lead screws?

Cheers & thanks for considering,

Jesper

2. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

3. evalon

evalon New
    Builder

4. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

I'm not 100% sure why, but I suspect it has something to do with being the least "abrasive" for the delrin nut-block. They also recommend the silicone for lubricating the wheels against the v-slot.

I just opted to follow the recommendations, but perhaps others here have tried other lubes with success.

5. evalon

evalon New
    Builder

Hi again Scotty,

Thanks once more for your feedback ... I will see what is available over here (Denmark) ... The lubricant you suggested is available from the UK - but only if I buy 12 of them :confused: ... an amount which probably will outlive me ...

Cheers,

Jesper

6. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I think that the reason you don't use graphite, besides being abrasive is that it's powder and doesn't lend itself to cover and stay on a screw that turns.

I'm 100% sure that you have some kind of silicone spray in Denmark.

7. halfshavedyaks

halfshavedyaks Well-Known
    Builder

I wonder if some of the products designed for bicycle chains would work. seems to me the requirements are similar.

many of those include teflon which I avoid using (especially for disposable items) for environmental reasons, but there are also some that don't.

some bike chain lubricants dry to a waxy coating which doesn't attract dust but does stay on the part that needs lubrication.

I've recently started using this on my bike: Bio Dry Lube

it seems fine although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best or better than anything else especially.

8. evalon

evalon New
    Builder

@JustinTime & halfshavedyaks:

Thanks both of you for suggesting & commenting.

As it is I would also prefer to not use PTFE containing lubes for environmental reasons ... and I actually would really prefer to use an environmentally friendly lube, however, for some years I used a 100% bio-degradable chain oil (everything about this oil was either bio-degradable or recyclable) and it happened to dry up in rubbery flakes on the chain. It took me quite some hours of work to get it off again ... So I am a bit cautious here ...

Currently I am using this chain lube:

Pedros Chainj lube

Might be it can be used on the lead screws as well ... Any thoughts anyone??

Cheers,

Jesper

9. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Is lubrication a requirement? I have never used it since my anti-backlash nuts are Delrin, which is self lubricating. Or is the lubrication to prevent rusting of the screws?

10. evalon

evalon New
    Builder

... Hmmm ... good question. In my case I don't think the screw nuts are delrin - looks like aluminum and I would guess that a lubricant would prolong life time ...

Cheers,

Jesper

11. halfshavedyaks

halfshavedyaks Well-Known
    Builder

yes it hadn't occurred to me that the screws needed lubricating, but I have the delrin nuts and the screws still have their film of oil from new.

my 3D printer Z axis has screws and has never seemed to need lubricating - it has brass nuts - but also much less speed and power is applied than on a workbee.

12. Andreas Bockert

Andreas Bockert Well-Known
    Builder

I read recommendations for air tool oil somewhere on the internet.

13. GeekNerd

GeekNerd New
    Builder

1) The openbuilds ACME lead screw has either Derlin (POM) or brass nuts according to Openbuilds info on website.
    2) The silicone lubricant is mentioned on website for V-Slot and PU wheels, not the leadscrew. Quite different things
    3) I think for general use the screw could run without lubrication. But in mt case I will use the linear actuator as a Z axis, meaning all the weight attached to moving plate will act as a load at all times (plus the extra load when moving depending on speed). Also, I need to run the actuator at max speed for 1000 mm long actuator version* which allows to run it at max of 8000 mm/min or 133 mm/s. If I move, say, 4 kg of load resulting in ~40N of total force (maximum is 115N according to datasheet), would I need to lubricate the leadscrew and what grease would be best for stock Derlin/POM nut with stainless steel ACME lead screw?

*The actuator is this one: C-Beam® Double Wide Gantry Actuator Bundle, 1000 mm long version and is mounted vertically (Z axis)

#13 GeekNerd, May 4, 2023
    Last edited: May 4, 2023
  14. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Use DRY ptfe or silicone spray (NO oil or grease - that traps dust) on your leadscrews. They do need lubrication, about once per week if in regular use.
    Alex.

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Dust is the least of the worries - oils degrade plastic/delrin/acrylic components! Always use Dry/PTFE lubricant
    Once a week is excessive though - if you need to do that, something else is wrong (leadnut mounted at an angle or without its spacers, preload set incorrectly, etc)

16. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

After cleaning and lubing lead screws on my 3D printer, I still hear some squeaking noises when the bed is moving up and down. The printer has brass nuts. The lead screws are 8mm 2 starts. How can I fix the problem?

17. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Search around. Delrin (POM) nuts in the same style as the brass ones are readily available. You'll just have to wait awhile for them to arrive.

18. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I don't want to buy wrong POM nuts. Amazon isn't very good at listing specs of POM nuts.

19. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team