Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Which build? 1500mmx750mm for aluminium

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by neo__04, Feb 27, 2018.

1. neo__04

neo__04 New
    Builder

Hi all,

Doing some research and trying to either decide on a build or design my own.

My aim is for a working are of around 750mmx1500
    I'm looking to do lots of woodwork, but i want to build it strong enough to cut aluminum.
    I'm going to go for a water cooled 2.2kw spindle. Thinking Nema 23 motors.
    haven't decided on ball screw/linear slides/belt drive etc..

From here on, I'm open to advice.

I'd love to design from scratch, but im unsure of how people have sized their axis extrusion (eg. C-beam) etc.

There are so many builds on here is just gets confusing!

If anyone could point me in the right direction of either a build they think fits the bill or some advice on v-slot/c-beam sizing etc.. I'd be very grateful.

Thanks heaps

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

My build is 850 x 1500 (https://openbuilds.com/builds/lead-screw-driven-ox-derivative-850x1500.3307/), and I cut aluminum, wood, and plastics with it. I did not have access to a CNC, so I used wood working tools to cut and drill my aluminum plates. I did not use C-beam because there was a shortage when I was buying extrusion, although my original design called for it. Instead, my long y axis are supported the full length vertically and horizontally (fixed to the table) so there is no sagging or lateral movement. I used 1/2"-10 five- start acme lead screws from McMaster - Carr for the 1500mm length. Anything smaller at that length is too small (IMHO) and can start to whip at high rpms. I wanted the precision of screws.

Enough about my build, an easier solution for most is the Sphinx (aka https://openbuilds.com/builds/c-beam-sphinx.3605/ by Kyo). It has a great build manual and a place where the plates can be purchased from. The only problem is you will have to make your own anti-backlash nuts that can fit it the cbeam channel or do major modifications on the plates because you can not get long enough 8mm lead screws. Besides, at that length, they will probably whip. I made my own antibacklash nuts. It was easy, they work great, and they would fit inside the channel because my original plan was for C-beam. I recently made another tap to make the nut for my laser. I have also made 3/8"-8 four start anti-backlash nuts. That is the threaded rod I used for my CNC's x and z axis. Although the nuts are easy to make, I do not recommend it if there is a suitable one for purchase. The time involved is not worth it.

Or, other options for longer lengths, the belt driven Ox or the Workbee CNC. All have manuals or videos showing how to build them.