Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

What type of laser do i need for Polymer stippling?

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Jake Bonshire, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Jake Bonshire

Builder

Can anyone assist me? I am wanting to build a CNC laser for stippling polymer and engraving aluminum or stainless steel. I am very new to this and just wrapped up building my first 3D printer. I with so many machines out there I didn't know if a C02 would do the trick or a 20W laser what they have on amazon or if I need something totally different. Thanks for all your input.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You will need a CO2 laser. For metal engraving -- actually more like etching -- you may also need to apply CerMark first. Technically, you can etch some anodized aluminum with a diode laser, but you can get a 40 watt CO2 laser for not much more. I plan to make a super cool CO2 laser like this Openbuilds Table Top 50w Co2 Laser Cutter/Engraver someday with the components that came with my cheap K40 ebay laser. But until then, I will do something like this UK40OB since it takes up less space.

If you want a deep dive into CO2 laser info and mods, request to be a member here: The Maker Forums There are a few of us OpenBuilds forum members there as well.

3. Jake Bonshire

Builder

Thank you for the info.

4. Jake Bonshire

Builder

I am currently trying to stipple my G-Lock frames and some design work on 80% 15s. I almost gave in and did the 20w fiber on ebay but figured I would ask around. I would always rather build my own and learn then spend more money paying someone else.

CD74 likes this.
  5. CD74

CD74 New
    Builder

Good morning, ran across this thread with a very specific topic in the search bar. I want make some custom grips and slides too. So, 26 months after this since your last post....Have you made some cool stuff? What is the best machine for doing this in 2022? I'm super interesting in seeing how far you have came in 2 years time, there is some really nice work out there. But I know what I want personally, and it is just not out there yet. But I have it all in my head, just started looking into a cnc/laser machine maybe yesterday. I do want the good stuff