Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

What motor setup would work for an oscillating room

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by jluu555, Jul 30, 2018.

1. jluu555

jluu555 New
    Builder

I'm trying to create an oscillating frame. The frame is 2.5m x 1.5m x 1.5m and weighs ~100 lbs though the driving force needed to move it won't be 100 lbs as it is positioned on a set of UMHW frictionless pads. It's currently being built so I don't know what the exact force required to move it is. I'd like to oscillate it at an amplitude of 1 meter and at a rate of 0.1 Hz. Do you have a recommendation as to what motor and setup would work? I'm new to all of this and am eager to learn. I've been looking at the linear actuator bundles but not sure which is strong enough to drive this.

Thanks.

Movable Room Frame.png

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If I'm following what you're asking, you want to move 100 pounds out and back 1 meter in 10 seconds? Screw driven actuators would be wholly inappropriate for this as the motor speed would be approximately 1500 rpm which is way too fast for a stepper and that's not even accounting for the reversal time. Belt driven actuators would also be inappropriate because stopping and reversing the amount of inertia involved at each end of stroke would cause the belt to skip teeth on the pulley. What I would suggest would be driving it like a piston with a large wheel (1m+) and a connecting rod. This will allow slowing before reversal eliminating the need to overcome substantial amounts of inertia.

Giarc and MaryD like this.
  3. Kevon Ritter

Kevon Ritter Veteran
    Builder

I agree with Rick IF space is allowed for a piston setup. If not, I do think a screw would be adequate. By screw, I do not mean the TR8x2 4 start (8mm lead), but

8mm - 1500 rpm
    12mm - 1000 rpm
    1/2" (12.7mm) - 944.88 rpm
    25mm - 480 rpm
    1" (25.4mm) - 472.44 rpm
    50mm - 250 rpm
    Igus has some crazy lead numbers well beyond the list above.

Forget belts, but what about a chain? Skipping shouldn't be a concern, but the noise will rise.

If you can find the coefficient of friction of the slides, you can easily find the exact torque number. This is what determines what size motor or what gearing you can get away with.

4. jluu555

jluu555 New
    Builder

I spoke with a rep who's building our frame and they claim the UMHW pads have a dynamic coefficient of friction of ~0.13 and a static coefficient of ~0.2.

Space is a concern as we would like to mount this entire setup plus whatever is driving it onto a platform. I've never heard of Igus but I will take a look at some of the lead screws they have and maybe see if I can gain some ideas.

Thanks