Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

What are the weight limits for the Dual-V Wheels?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Ad Display Sign Systems, May 23, 2014.

1. Ad Display Sign Systems

Builder

Does anyone have any information about the weight limits for the Dual V Wheels in both the Delrin & the Steel versions?

I am designing a V-Slot framework and would like to mount 40"+ LCD's on a "H" Style V-slot Frame.
    I would like the LCD to be able to roll left and right along the center crossbar of the "H", but want to be sure to use enough Wheels to support it properly.
    ( I would CNC Route a custom 3/16" thick Aluminum VESA mounting adapter with the Dual-V Wheels attached to it )

The 40" LCD I am using is around ~30 lbs so I want to make sure the wheels can take the weight without failing.

If a 40" Version works, I would like to do additional versions with a 55" LCD that is 45-50 lbs, so I want to design it with enough wheels to handle any weight from 30lbs to 65lbs or so.

Does anyone have any insight or information on weight limits for the V-Slot wheels?
    I've attached a PDF of my current layout for reference.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Looking at your design I would say you will have no problems with the amount of wheels you have there.
    General rule of thumb that we use on the delrin v wheel is approx 5 to 6 lbs per wheel(the solid v wheels should handle a bit more). If you have a large amount of weight sitting in the same position for too long of a time on the delrin wheels they will want to create a flat spot. However once they are rolled back and forth a few times the delrin will go back to its shape. We are working on stiffer wheels using new materials that may be an alternative in the future,
    http://www.openbuilds.com/threads/new-wheels-for-my-router-www-cncforeveryone-com.504/#post-4896
    but like I said I see no problems what your current set up. I would suggest to give it a go, so you have it in your hand and you can see how it works out and where it can be improved.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

#2 Mark Carew, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. Ad Display Sign Systems

Builder

Fantastic, thats what I was hoping.
    Since the Dual-V Wheels are out of stock ( As of 6/3/14), I ended up ordering the Solid V Wheels, which should offer more support anyway.
    I am curious about the compression over time, so we will test this out.

I love the idea of using solid aluminum Dual-V Wheels that CNC for Everyone is doing:
    I wonder what they would charge per wheel.

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

:thumbsup: Glad to hear it
    We have not tried the aluminum. We are prototyping polycarbonate now and they should be a stronger alternative for these types of applications.