Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Welcome from the Greenman

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Greenman, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Greenman

Greenman New
    Builder

Hello I am very happy to find this website and forum. I have been building things all my life and the issue always has been to collect all the parts. When I got involved in guitar building the problem was getting a critical mass of tools together to do a decent job. It has taken me years and several thousand dollars to collect what I need. The idea of open source fits with my old hippie liberal mentality. Sharing ideas and sources of were to buy things to build things. I am now teaching guitar building and I have developed a few tools with off the shelf parts. I look forwards to experimenting with open rail and it's components. To build additional need tools for my classes. I want to build a small CNC for part making and tool making. I am excited about building a OX when it is released.

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi @Greenman let me be the first to welcome you to OpenBuilds, glad to have you here :)
    Open source is a lot of fun and its a great feeling to be able to help people while still doing what we all love to do building things.

3. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

Dude, I totally could use help building a guitar. I can't even afford a cheap chinese one but I can get some awesome wood and electronics and hopefully an OX or routy cnc machine. You should do a build where people can size the guitar to their hands. Imagine the music that could be created...

Oh and as for green tech, you can make guitars cheaper than china and they're made locally so it's a big win-win for everyone.

4. Greenman

Greenman New
    Builder

I have been working trying to build what I call a Greenman Guitars that is made with all wood that is both sustainable and from North America. No Rosewood, or Ebony. I don't think we will ever be able to build things cheaper than off shore but we can build them better and we won't feel guilty about the materials we use and sweat shop labor. I don't believe corporate America is interested in America or the American worker. The way to create jobs is to start new businesses in America. That is why I am interested in the open source movement to put the control of things back into the hands of the people. I will need some help on the tech end of my builds I will call on you guys for help and support. If you are interested in building a guitar I can help there.

Mark Carew likes this.
  5. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

Search around the internet. There may be a 3D CAD file of a guitar. If so I can run it through my cnc on a 2x4 for the neck, haha. I dunno. a 3D file would be a good start.