Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Want to build a C-Beam XL

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Sprags, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Sprags

Sprags Well-Known
    Builder

I wish I knew about Openbuilds a long time ago. I considered buying a Sherline but think they are way overpriced for what you get.

The C-Beam XL looks like it would have the working volume I'd be satisfied with for now. I like the idea of it having dual y-axis beams for added rigidity.

I've been around CNC since I had my first Bostomatic back I the early 90's. And recently I considered buying a CNC router recently.

And from another thread I found Automation Technologies (automationtechnologiesinc.com) that seems to cater more towards industry rather than the home hobbiest. But I see they have some items that are really not that much more expensive than the electronics for sale on Openbuilds. Can you guys give me your thoughts on going for more professional grade components on a C-Beam design? My thought is that if I go with the pro-grade stuff it would help with better control and precision though the actual build of the linear actuators and how they all tie together is very important also.

I guess one nice thing might be is that the Automation Technologies showroom is the next town over from where I live and talking with them may help steer me in the right direction.

I'd appreciate your suggestions greatly. Thanks in advance.